Leaking Tailgate

Tranq

Can anyone help me?

I finally thought the cost of all the driving lessons and the outrageous insurance for my teenage daughter would pay off when she gave me and my wife a lift to a party and stayed up to collect us later. However, after sitting in the back of my wife's '08 Fabia 2, I arrived at the party with a wet backside.

Once the hangover had cleared a bit the next day, I took a look. The spare wheel well was full of water, the cover was saturated, and the damp had spread along the carpet and soaked the NSR seat.

A bit of playing with the garden hose revealed that water would flow out from under the left hand side wall of the boot from behind the interior trim if I ran water across the roof into the upper join with the closed tailgate. Putting the hose in the side wells of the tailgate opening, so the water ran off behind the light clusters, had no effect.

I an guessing that there must be a gap between the rubber seal round the tail gate opening and the end of the roof panel, but I can't see anything.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did they do to solve it? I have found a lot about leaking rear doors using search, but nothing about tailgates.

Many thanks.

We're is the vents ?

Thanks for the replies.

I went looking for vents and found one by removing the rear left light cluster - and lo and behold, the seal was perished through. I have slapped some bathroom sealant across the top where the seal has gone as a stop-gap measure. Now I need to find out what the thing is called to order the right part, and how to access it. It looks like the bumper will have to come off.

When I was running water into the light cluster, some cavity must have been filling up but not quite overflowing. When I ran the hose over the top of the tailgate, it must have flowed down behind the light cluster and finished filling the cavity, overflowing, and tricking me into looking in the wrong place. So now how do I access that cavity and get the water out?

This seems to be a very cheap and flimsy seal in a hard to reach area that has a big impact when it lets go. Not very clever.

• 3 weeks later...

i too have found a water leak in my spare wheel well just this weekend,its also coming from the little vent seals behind the rear light clusters.but ive found both n/s and o/s seals to be perished.ive just removed the seals completly and filled with silicone sealer.see pics

the offending article

image-26.jpg

now filled with sealer

image-25.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Finding my Feet for your photos

mine will be going back in to Skoda to be checked as its only a couple of weeks old

UPDATE

car back from dealers I get the impression that they didn't find the source of the leak but as a precaution applied sealant onto the existing external sealant behind rear bumper

the water was somehow getting into a box section at rear of car (estate boot sill) and then dribbling into spare wheel well

as usual post a dealer visit:- trim not re-applied correctly - two fixing clips missing & a screw in the wheel arch cover missed the locating hole completely so so I had to correct this ( & Will ask for the two missing fixings )

so I have had a look myself & now I strongly suspect that the water is getting in past the rear light cluster securing screw - the hole can be seen in Barrheadreds photo, there is only a very delicate foam seal that surrounds the thread that goes into this hole I suspect its not big enough to cover the hole correctly

In Barrheadreds photo you can see that the mark left by the seal does not cover the top of the screw slot sufficiently when the light cluster is lined up correctly I have adjusted mine so the cluster is slightly higher and the fixing screw is in the centre of the slot so the foam seal is centralised as well

edit :- this is my first experience with Skoda's after sales service & I am not impressed

just noticed rear parking sensors no longer working when they refitted the rear bumper they didn't bother reconnecting the sensors!

if you want a job done properly - don't bother with a Skoda main agent - DIY!

Edited by 2tite