Yeti Leather seats

Merlinman

Some of you may remember I raised a concern @ 900 miles about the 'creasing' on my Onyx leather front seats.

I copied my photos to the Service Manager at my local dealers.

I'm now on 7.5k miles and so I sent him further pictures of the seats a week ago.

BTW I'm 12 stone - so not a bloater by any means :rofl:

'Er indoors car has been in today for new cam belt and water pump (4 years and 24k miles) - I was collared by the Service Receptionist - SUK have instructed them to replace both leather front seat covers and pads - result!

Pics attached below.

post-20455-0-88464800-1323269732_thumb.jpg

post-20455-0-21321400-1323269745_thumb.jpg

post-20455-0-63610400-1323269757_thumb.jpg

post-20455-0-71599000-1323269767_thumb.jpg

Kitten and I have done over 8000 miles in Ivor, and our front seats are creased too, I just thought this was natural as the leather 'loosens' up with ones weight. emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Well 2 previous leather upholstered Golfs both substantially 'as new' after 3 years!

Happy to see some 'wearing in' but not to this extent?

Or is the Yeti just 'like a Golf' ? emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Kitten and I have done over 8000 miles in Ivor, and our front seats are creased too, I just thought this was natural as the leather 'loosens' up with ones weight. emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Yes I think you're right Mac, mine have creased a little too in 3000 miles and i imagine no matter how many times they're replaced the same thing will happen again. I suppose us 'Elegant' ones will have to grin and bear it :)

Your drivers seat doesn't look right as you say, although the passenger looks slightly better than my drivers seat after 9000 miles. My passenger side has only had half that occupancy at best and therefor is in nearly as new shape.

TP

If my drivers seat was like yours @ 9k miles, Tim, I wouldn't have raised an issue emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Yes quite happy with it, getting like a favorite arm chair :giggle:

These 'leather' seats are far better than those fitted to my early production SE which without lumber. They did initially take some 'bedding' in mind.

Regards,

TP

26K on my drivers seat now and I was very large when I got the car, since lost 70lbs in weight, and still failrly large.

Personally at first found the seat uncomfortable as the width in the recess of the seat base was too narrow for me, but now very comfortable indeed having lost some weight.

However my seat has not creased excessively and still looks fine, not at all like the one above.

In any event some slight creasing is surely normal for a material like leather and is part of the character? I agree the above is excessive though, but leather itself probably varies in quality from one skin to another and even in a single piece some parts might be more elastic or stretchy than other parts, unlike a fabric which is engineered for the purpose it is doing.

I think that's fair comment, Ken - and I've had leather seats in my last 4 vehicles - this drivers seat has deformed more than any other. Must have been a saggy old beast it came from :rofl:

Your seats certainly do look worse for wear. Mine have done just over 12,000 miles and there is some "bubbing" in the ribbed section as per yours, but the smooth sections at the front are both still smooth. The ribbed area "bubbles" I don't mind.

This is mine with 40miles on the clock:

155155_456244311323_671901323_5937922_1779397_n.jpg

So the "bubble" was already there! [awh and hello Frank! The Yeti in the passenger door pocket!]

Your seats certainly do look worse for wear. Mine have done just over 12,000 miles and there is some "bubbing" in the ribbed section as per yours, but the smooth sections at the front are both still smooth. The ribbed area "bubbles" I don't mind.

This is mine with 40miles on the clock:

155155_456244311323_671901323_5937922_1779397_n.jpg

So the "bubble" was already there! [awh and hello Frank! The Yeti in the passenger door pocket!]

This is exactly the way mine look, you'll have to take my word for it as I've no pics yet. Was like this when I picked the car up but accepted it as I had seen your pictures before. My opinion is that the leather is not pulled tight enough on the seat, BMW and Audi always have them pulled very tight.

Anyway must dash, just back from the dealers who re-position my steering wheel ( I think its better). I'm going to go and fir my winter wheels/tyres while I've still got a roof on my garage!! The wind is fairly picking up here.

Edited by servicepoint

Do you ever use anything to maintain leather ? - I use this 3 times per year:

19938312b.jpg

Not sure if this will help in this case, but at least my seats looks better after treatment.

When you get back (hopefully in one piece) it'd be good to know what the dealers had to do?

Cheers :thumbup:

Job done!

Really is pretty wild and getting worse.

After driving the car the technician agreed it was slightly out and that was down to the steering wheel being fitted incorrectly. They therefore re-positioned the wheel and it does appear better. As its difficult to gauge it properly on a road due to the camber and the wind I took the car to a Tesco car park and used the white lines to gauge whether the car was driving square with the steering wheel dead centre.

The technician was very quick at re-positioning the wheel!!!

They also tried to charge me :thumbdown:, I refused telling them it was like that on Saturday when I collected it and I wasn't driving it back to London for them to deal with it.