1.8 TSI DSG versus 2.O TDI 140 both L&K DSG

I'm contempating a Octavia L&K 1.8TSI DSG Estate for my next car, Skoda UK don't seem to be able to find one in the country for me to try.

They have offered a diesel 140 DSG which I've accepted.

I was wondering if anyone had tried both and had any advice regarding the difference in engine / transmission characteristics.

i.e. if I get on with the diesel am I likely happy with the petrol once ordered. I'm used to a petrol turbo car at present.

You'll get better fuel economy from the diesel, however you need to offset that with the higher initial cost of the car & higher fuel cost.

I've got the 1,8TSi DSG Elegance hatch & that goes like stink when I need it too, yet it's as gentle as anything when I don't, I get reasonable fuel economy to boot courtesy of the DSG-7 box, which isn't far off the diesels.

What you ultimately need to work out is whether the diesel will benefit you in the "economy stakes" and work out whether the miles you drive & the economy of the diesel will pay for itself.

I.8TSI doesn't have diesel-like low-down torque (as do some other smaller TSI variants) - a bit slow until 2750 rpm or so, then great power to the red-line. This can be frustrating. I wouldn't order this engine without test driving it. I'm going to get my 1.8 remapped because of this. Personally, if purchase price wasn't an issue, I'd choose the diesel next time, again due to this reason alone.

Edited by Mafuta

Hi,

Not sure I agree with Mafuta. Whilst the engine is not as torque rich as a diesel, for a petrol it's certainly very good. On the whole better than my previous 2.5L straight 6 BMW. It's reasonably smooth, it just doesn't have the sound and character of a really great engine or the pick up for that matter. However it's more refined than a diesel and very eccomonical (doesn't even require belt changes as it has a chain driven cam).

Plenty powerful enough for normal use, and maps well if you need more. Although I would argue the rest of the car doesn't really match up to a 200+ BHP car, vis dynamics / handling etc.

If you regularly travel on concrete roads make sure you check it on these, as surface dependant noise can be an issue (bit of an problem for me).

Simon

I.8TSI doesn't have diesel-like low-down torque (as do some other smaller TSI variants) - a bit slow until 2750 rpm or so, then great power to the red-line. This can be frustrating. I wouldn't order this engine without test driving it. I'm going to get my 1.8 remapped because of this. Personally, if purchase price wasn't an issue, I'd choose the diesel next time, again due to this reason alone.

Mine had loads of pull from 2000rpm when the turbo kicked in. It goes even better with the re-map. However, I don't think you can re-map the DSG as it can't handle the extra torque.

I don't think the turbo kicks in until about 2500. At least mine doesn't feel like it does. Not as sprightly or nippy or quick off the mark in the first couple of gears as was the 1.2tsi I had previously! From 3000 on much more power of course.

I agree with the not nippy comment, but I do get useful torque before 2,000 RPM (appears to start at about 1,600 RMP) and it is well on song by 2.5 K. In fact other than joining motorways I hardly go much above 3,000 Revs. This shows how muscular it is as standard.

Simon

Mafuta,

Just realised that you car is a 1.8 TSI SE+ don't these run a different map and hence power output? Possibly they have strangled it a bit.

Simon