Changing from Octavia Scout 2.0 TDI to Elegence Estate 4x4 TDI 140 DSG

I have the 4x4 170CR Elegance saloon/hatch so not a like for like comment. I have problems with the driving position, particularly my left leg. Pay close attention to this when you go for a test drive, I didn't and I bitterly regret not doing so. I have to sit very low and this makes visibility out of the car awful making parking and moving around in tight spots difficult in such a long car. The 4x4 system has the car feeling very planted to the road compared to my old Mk1 Superb but I would say that the older car had a much better trim quality and may well have been better screwed together. Already after 1200 miles my Superb has developed a loud rattle from inside the centre dash area when driving over ripled road surfaces (and there's a lot of those in the UK now) my 6 year old Mk1 never had anything like that. Overall, I'm not that impressed with the car apart from the 4x4, so take a good long test drive before you finally decide. If I'd taken my advice I may not have bought this car.

Edited by Fred Bloggs

Although I had niether an Octavia Scout nor Superb 4x4, I came from a Octavia via Audi to Superb.

I feel that the Superb is much better put together than my 07 Octavia, although some of that could have been component improvements over the 4 years. Having said that my colleagues 09 FL Octavia has virtually the same quality as my old Octavia.

In terms of space and comfort, the Superb is a massive step up over the Octavia and certainly the Audi A4, I had no problem in getting a comfortable driving position but I've found myself tending to lean towards the left somewhat, perhaps this is to do with the centre armrest that I've never had on other cars. Given I'm 6ft 3in, I don't have any particular issues in the drivers seat, and don't have issues with my left leg in the same way that FredBloggs does - although both the Audi and Octavia have similar lower dashboard setups like the Superb so it could be that I'm used to it.

Can't comment on the 4x4 as mine is merely a 2WD 2.0 CR! But IMO is a truly excellent car and after 2100+ miles has not given me any problems, no dashboard squeaks or rattles to comment in and this is despite having the dashboard taken out for installation of car phone kit - I expected there to be some when it was all put back together but (touch wood) there are no rattles.

HTH

Si

hi, i moved from a 10 plate octavia 1.9tdi 4x4 to a superb 1.8tsi 4x4 elegance. the octavia was a great car, very sure footed, but the superb is very well named, and i doubt you will look back. the superb feels better screwed together, and has a altogether more quality feel to it.