Hole in turbo manifold

RickVRS

Well I've found out why the noise on boost had changed and found out why my rolling road results were poor. A bolt in the turbo manifold had been botched. What I can see if it's snapped on tightening and the previous owner had exhaust pasted the top of the bolt in.

This has come out meaning I have a big leak.....when revving the engine you can feel the air coming out.

So looks like a turbo out job.

Just what I needed!

Yea....I considered buying a ko4s and swapping it whilst it's off but ts too much money when I have a service and a cambelt and tax all due next month.

I've got a mate doing it next week so will see how it goes I guess. Should run more power than the 205bhp I ran on the rollers eh

that will be the cause of low figures !!! as he had only just replaced the turbo!! shame it wasnt done properly but atleast you will now be sure it is

i will recomend when you have the mannifold off you port it as this see's good gains like a high flow manni

hth glad you found the issue

it has a high flow mani on already? i may give it a quick port but im mainly interested in getting the car running again! im driving it now but making sure the turbo doesnt spool up.

will dyno it once its fixed and should see about 230 i think

bad luck mate i dont think anyone saw that coming :doh: oh well get it fixed and back to full health in no time haha

my tax, mot and cambelt have all been for feb so i know how the budget feels mind you now i can focus on mods and getting this boost surge fixed

yea its one of those things.....hopefully it will be an easy job for my friend to take the turbo off and rebolt it up.....not sure how they all bolt together, where its threaded and snapped or what.

Yea it looks like it's been overtightened and snapped off in the housing. Were thinking it needs removing and the snapped bolt drilled out. Do you know where I can get a new bolt from?

ah yeah if its snapped off in there you might have trouble, try a skoda dealer or TPS or audi seat etc

Yea need to double Check or has been snapped but no other reason the top half of the bolt would have been exhaust pasted I'm there. When I did my dyno with a run on full boost it's obviously exploited the weakness.

hi guys,

Quick question as im starting to understand this now...a bit. I have new bolts that bolt the turbo (im guessing wastegate) on to the exhast manifold at the top. Its 3 bolts fed down in to the housing.

Now ive tested this on an old set up i have and its fine but when i drop the bolt in my car it drops all the way in but there seems to be no thread.....its like my bolt isnt long enough. Could it be that as i have a high flow manifold on the bolts need to be longer?

hi guys,

Quick question as im starting to understand this now...a bit. I have new bolts that bolt the turbo (im guessing wastegate) on to the exhast manifold at the top. Its 3 bolts fed down in to the housing.

Now ive tested this on an old set up i have and its fine but when i drop the bolt in my car it drops all the way in but there seems to be no thread.....its like my bolt isnt long enough. Could it be that as i have a high flow manifold on the bolts need to be longer?

you sure the thread just isnt completely gone i.e rounded off, wouldnt have thought a high flow manifold would use longer bolts, though im not sure

i dont know....you would think it would catch even just a little bit. Looks like it needs removing to check but luckily if i remove the exhause manifold it will be easy to see whats done without removing the turbo side

i dont know....you would think it would catch even just a little bit. Looks like it needs removing to check but luckily if i remove the exhause manifold it will be easy to see whats done without removing the turbo side

just undo one of the other bolts in there and check your new one for length make sure its right

If the worst comes to the worst and the thread is gone, get a helicoil insert fitted - engineering shops dont charge that much to do it - some people will do it in-situ for a fee.

It could work out cheaper than a turbo overhaul by a long way. If your mate is in the trade he may even own a helicoil kit to do it himself - not hard to do.

Hope it helps

Phil.