Thoughts on DIY oil changes

TomAU

Our 2.0 TDI Superb has just completed 5000 trouble free km. The service book indicates the first oil change is at 15,000 km. I have no problems changing the oil myself, but should I bother ? In my 3.0l V6 camry I change the oil every 5,000km. At 230,000 km it still travels well.

Here in Australia, there are a few brands offering VW507.00 oil.

What do you guys think ? Change the oil yourself between planned services ?

Not sure I'd do the first few, it may give your dealer a "getout clause" in case of the warranty. Not sure how things work in Oz, in the UK you don't have to use a main dealer to keep your warranty anymore, but I believe you do have to use a correctly VAT-registered garage who use genuine OEM parts (not just OEM spec).

So if you're doing it yourself with all genuine Skoda parts and you don't record the fact you've changed the oil you may be fine, but I'd be concerned that if it were documented or if real Skoda parts weren't used, they could refuse later warranty work.