Skoda Octavia 1 2001 TDI - Indicators stay on when locking / unlocking

Morphim

Hi there.

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I hope you good folk can help as I'm losing the will to live.

This is my Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI estate - Elegance 2001

When I lock / unlock the car (either with the fob or the lock switch inside) the passenger side indicators (back , front & small repeater) stay on constantly.

This started a while back but, with a few more clicks on the fob, they would eventually go out. Now they don't, even when the ignition is off & the key removed.

This means I have to keep disconnecting the battery (so the lights don't flatten it).

If i do disconnect the battery overnight, when re-connected, they have gone off & I can use it again but I can't lock it or they will come on again.

When driving, if the NS indicators are stuck on & I push the hazard light button, the OS lights will come on constantly too. If i do this too often, the OS will be stuck on too until the battery is disconnected.

When just the NS are stuck, the OS indicators still work as normal but the NS do nothing but blaze.

I've changed the indicator relay (hazard light switch) but no help.

This thread (regarding a VW Golf) is the closest thing to my problem but I don't know where this little circuit board might be if it's even the same?? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=174543

Any ideas, suggestion or help gratefully received.

I'm OK with mechanical stuff but electrics are really not my thing.

Thanks in advance : )

On the Octavia the CCM (Comfort Control Module) is in the dash behind the light controls to the right of the steering wheel. It's a box shaped thing with three multiplugs going into the top of it.

It does sound from that TDI club thread that the CCM is the problem. You could get a good auto electrician to have a look at it with a view to fitting a new relay as per that thread, or fit a whole new CCM but IIRC they are over £200 from the dealers and need to be coded to the car.

OK. I'll update this myself.

Found out where the module mentioned in the above link is located in the Skoda Octavia MK1 via this thread >> http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/147752-central-convenience-module-location/

Knowing exactly what it's called (Central Convenience Unit or CCU - not very convenient as it turns out ; ) and having a photo helps greatly.

I can confirm that, as stated by LC in the link above (and here again http://forums.tdiclu...ad.php?t=174543 ) regarding the relay on the left, inside the CCU, when the lights are stuck, they do indeed go out when flicked.

Therefore, I can only deduce that this relay is sticking & at fault & I will have to look to replace.

I'll keep you informed.

BTW. The CCU is behind the panel by the drivers right knee (the door side of the steering wheel)

There are two panles to remove, the one underneath, near the pedals (2 or 3 torx screw I think) and the main padded panel with the headlight switch in it (you need to remove this - pulls out and unscrew the fuseboard on the end too. Then 4 or so more screws. The CCU is then screwed up to the right of the steering column.

I hope this helps someone else. I'll let you know how my fix goes.

Hi Chicken Eyebrow. Thanks very much for the reply. Our posts must have just crossed.

Thanks for the advice. As you can see (above) I've made some progress.

At least for now, i can drive with the CCU accessible and flick it if i get stuck (still can't lock though as i can't flick it from outside a locked car. D'oh! )

• 6 months later...

Just a long overdue update to this so it might help others.

This actually 'fixed' itself in a round about sort of way: What actually happened was the relay finally gave out (probably all that flicking I did.) This results in the central locking working without fault but without the indicators coming on at all. This is fine for me.

However, before this, my plan was to buy a second hand CCM unit on ebay (of which there are many & pretty cheap - just take a look at yours & find the code number on it so you know you're getting the right one) then get a friend to swap just the relay.

This is the cheapest way to fix this without expensive recoding or trying to source the original relay (which I could only find in the USA)

I hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic. I am experiencing exactly same problem. Could you tell me which relay to swap? Flicking the unit didn't help and replacing the new CCM created different issues.

thanks