Knocking from front left - how to diagnose?

Benjiman

So my car has developed a slight knocking sound from the front left corner (I think). It doesn't do it predictably, nor over every bump in the road. You can almost feel it in the cabin.

Took the car to my friends garage yesterday and put it on the lift to have a look. The front left caliper has a little play in it, sometimes allowing the pads to slap the disc when jiggled. Console bushes were replaced last year with cupra ones, and looked ok still. Nothing else obviously broken or hanging off - we swung on a number of things.

When I left his & drive home, the noise seemed to get worst, and definately sounded different to the brake issue diagnosed on the ramp.

Any thoughts on what this could be? And how can I identify if it is this issue at home?

Cheers. :)

1. sounds like the drop link if you push up and down on the role bar were the link bolts throw you should feel some play but make sure you push the bar and not the link you wont always feel the play if you push the link