Car purchase has fallen through

Heckler

Seller was going to deliver the car to me, has just called to say the autobox isn't working right.

He's going to have his mechanic look at it, and if it's gonna cost more than a few hundred to fix he'll break the car and return my deposit. To be honest, having received that info I would pull out of the purchase anyway. I can't afford to risk buying a car with problems like that.

So the hunt begins again, and I may not even end up in a Superb at all... it all depends on what the markets brings me at the right price point.... I'm standing by my requirements though, either a sporty diesel that's quick, handles great and is reliable or a luxury car with all the toys.

Well, as time was against me now... I've just bought a 2004 Mondeo on ebay. It's a Ghia X model with full colour touchscreen satnav system, heated seats, black leather, cruise, climate control and the 2lt TDCi 130bhp Diesel... and only 92000 on the clock.

Got that for £2023 squidlies.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on the Superb, when I come to change my car next time... I'll definitely be looking at them again.

You walked the right way, the minute an auto goes wrong it's time to say full rebuild or forget it, I've had lots of them and recons don't last, the VW auto is quite a good box tbh, so when it gives up a fault that is time to switch from Mc'D's to Burger King or face the bill from the Dorchester.

Edited by Supurbia

Oh Mondeo 2.0 diesels..... EGR valves, DMFs, clutches, stretched timing chains, jumping timing chains on the inlet cam, dropped valves, blown turbos, turbo hoses coming off, scuffing piston number 1, bent connecting rods, spun big end bearings, porous cylinder blocks, the list goes on and on.....

Good luck! At least the car was cheap....

The only thing I can advise is change the oil at 6k miles not 15k as per manufacturer's recommendation as you will get more life out of the timing chain. They stretch significantly once the soot loading exceeds 3% v/v which tends to happen around 6k miles onwards, particularly on a Euro 4 model.

Oh Mondeo 2.0 diesels..... EGR valves, DMFs, clutches, stretched timing chains, jumping timing chains on the inlet cam, dropped valves, blown turbos, turbo hoses coming off, scuffing piston number 1, bent connecting rods, spun big end bearings, porous cylinder blocks, the list goes on and on.....

Good luck! At least the car was cheap....

The only thing I can advise is change the oil at 6k miles not 15k as per manufacturer's recommendation as you will get more life out of the timing chain. They stretch significantly once the soot loading exceeds 3% v/v which tends to happen around 6k miles onwards, particularly on a Euro 4 model.

You forgot particle filter?

I was looking at Mondeos a few months back and the all-too-common injector failures were a bit offputting at £400 a pop.

I didn't like the ride either when I tested an ST TDCI - too harsh, although the 18" wheels didn't help. It felt a bit Japanese, too, as far as the trim was concerned - rattly and cheap.

They still get good reviews though so can't be all bad

I'm a blue oval man, I've had more Mondeo's than hot dinners, but their diesel engines after the good old 1.8TD donkey engine were awful, not a patch on VW, prepare for problems, especially at that mileage!! And whatever they did to the Zetec engine design on the MK3 Mondeo was criminal, completely lost their way.

Best of luck!