Falling out of love with the Fabia vRS :-(

yoshi

Firstly, a bit of background info on why I got a vRS !

Some stupid stupid taxi driver crashed in to the side of my 1997 Civic Vti (EK4) and wrote it off. Thankfully, we were lucky enough to get out alive although the roof had to be cut off to get us out ! So I had to get a new car and I could ONLY get a five door and after a while, I saw a nice 53 plate Fabia vRS and bought it ! It's got full leather, full service history. I LOVED the torque and I'd be lying if I didn't say I enjoyed it.....

Fast forward 6 months or so and I am REALLY missing the Civic. I miss the rawness, the way it redlined to 9000+ rpm, the noise ! The tricky bit is, I can only get a 5-door and I don't really like the 5-door Vti's.

So basically, I've been looking in to modding the Fab. Would a Re-map really transform the car ? Will an anti-roll bar+console bushes+eibach springs make the handling much more enjoyable? Or would I be left disappointed once again? The Fabia is an amazing car,but I just think it's not the car for me unless modifiying can change that ! Thanks guys !

Firstly, a bit of background info on why I got a vRS !

Some stupid stupid taxi driver crashed in to the side of my 1997 Civic Vti (EK4) and wrote it off. Thankfully, we were lucky enough to get out alive although the roof had to be cut off to get us out ! So I had to get a new car and I could ONLY get a five door and after a while, I saw a nice 53 plate Fabia vRS and bought it ! It's got full leather, full service history. I LOVED the torque and I'd be lying if I didn't say I enjoyed it.....

Fast forward 6 months or so and I am REALLY missing the Civic. I miss the rawness, the way it redlined to 9000+ rpm, the noise ! The tricky bit is, I can only get a 5-door and I don't really like the 5-door Vti's.

So basically, I've been looking in to modding the Fab. Would a Re-map really transform the car ? Will an anti-roll bar+console bushes+eibach springs make the handling much more enjoyable? Or would I be left disappointed once again? The Fabia is an amazing car,but I just think it's not the car for me unless modifiying can change that ! Thanks guys !

a remap would turn it from a warm hatch to a hot hatch, the RARB would help to reduce the understeer, I wouldn't reccomend just springs, go for a matched spring and damper set , then you may be a bit happier....

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Will it rev much freely too with a remap and feel a bit more revvier like a petrol ? As i hate the way there's nothing, nothing, EVERYTHING, nothing....hmm might go for the shocks too if it'll help reduce body roll. BTW, I don't know if you could help me but this is driving me round the bend. I replaced the rear discs (brembos) and pads, also put a passenger refurbed caliper as it had completely seized. For a good 200 miles there was no noise coming from the rear, then all of a sudden, it screeches like crazy ! However, it goes way when I apply the brakes. Do you know what it could be ?! its making me go insane and it's soooo embarassing ! Thanks for the advice thoug, appreciate it!

It will still stop revving at around 4k to 4.5k and there isn't much you can do to stop that.

A good mapper will be able to make the power more progressive, so that it starts to come in lower, although in doing that you have to take into account you will need to look at the DMF. Bringing the torque/power in low, will kill a DMF, but that can be overcome with an SMF, so it's up to what you want.

If you want to hold onto the power from 3k up to 9k, then no a diesel won't help you, no matter what you do to it.

indeed, the nature of the PD enigne is "nothing--- alll -- nothing--" but as he (ChzMnky) says you can custom map it...

I was a big fan of diesels for many years, now I have the mark II vRS, and it red lines at 7,000... and its kinda addictive ;) (when I can afford the fuel!)

If I did big miles again though, I'd go back to deisel at the drop of a hat... I used to do 50k private a year, now only 20k, so I can handle a petrol ;)

I think it's because I miss holding on to the power alllll the way till the redline like in the Civic. Kinda gets irritating when all that power comes in a big lump and gotta change gear. Saying that, I gotta give it to Skoda for being different and it is a pretty fun car, but I didn't know I would get bored this quickly ! I'm just a bit scared that if i remap it, what if I get bored of it again too quick ?! And the DMF issue kinda puts me off it too as I don't wanna be looking at big bills !

Wouldn't mind getting a vRS II !

Mod it.... you wont regret it... i used to have a 204bhp ZS180 v6 that used to growl & love to redline.. & this is just as much fun with economy to boot you cant go wrong.. :happy: :happy: :happy:

I think it's because I miss holding on to the power alllll the way till the redline like in the Civic.

Sadly, a diesel is not for you, then, really.

I had Eibacs, Jabba rarb & a unit 18 map last week, has totally transformed the car,

Handeling has gone from boat like to train like, Power wise its just smoother, easyer to drive and extra grunt for overtaking,

Couldnt reccomend the 3 mods above enough

Rich

It'll never handle exceptionally well but can be made to handle better than stock.

Heavy engine doesn't help. Remap will make it feel more petrol like, but anything over

4500rpm is frankly just abusing the engine when what you get for doing it is so little.

The low down-midrange slug of power and torque is what this engine was designed to do.

It was never meant to be a screamer. That said, a good remap, bigger brakes and

improved suspension will make a big difference to a stock car. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I might actually go for the mods as it seems like it might put a smile back on my face once again ! I'm based in W.Yorkshire,might go to Shark or RS Tuning for the remap. Also sort the handling out by putting a whiteline rarb,cupra console bushes and eibach springs !

Thanks guys. I might actually go for the mods as it seems like it might put a smile back on my face once again ! I'm based in W.Yorkshire,might go to Shark or RS Tuning for the remap. Also sort the handling out by putting a whiteline rarb,cupra console bushes and eibach springs !

shark have some good reviews on here for a remap, most would reccomend, i would :thumbup:

Before you splash your cash, it might be worth getting a drive in a few mapped cars, to see what you like from a map.

Do you want the power coming in from 1500rpm and smoothly all the way up to 4.5k or perhaps something else.

Once you've found out what you like you can look at what's needed.

Suspension mods, a DMF (Only about £400 for a conversion IIRC), brake upgrades, FMIC etc.

I think before starting out on a road it makes sense to work out if it's going to end up where you want.

You might find it's going to cost you 2k to map it to what you want, but you can get a newer Fabia II petrol VRS for maybe only £3-4k over your car.

The latter gives you the revs etc back without modding.

Not saying that's the right thing to do, but it's worth considering your options.

Before you splash your cash, it might be worth getting a drive in a few mapped cars, to see what you like from a map.

Do you want the power coming in from 1500rpm and smoothly all the way up to 4.5k or perhaps something else.

Once you've found out what you like you can look at what's needed.

Suspension mods, a DMF (Only about £400 for a conversion IIRC), brake upgrades, FMIC etc.

I think before starting out on a road it makes sense to work out if it's going to end up where you want.

You might find it's going to cost you 2k to map it to what you want, but you can get a newer Fabia II petrol VRS for maybe only £3-4k over your car.

The latter gives you the revs etc back without modding.

Not saying that's the right thing to do, but it's worth considering your options.

:-s remap from shark performance is <£400.00 and they're are reputabley up there with the best.

You won't need a new DMF unless you give it death under 2k revs.

You don't need a FMIC.

I would definatley recommend upgrading the brakes though

Right, thought about it long and hard and I'm going to sell the Fabia. Went to see a Honda the other day and realised how much I miss it ! The vRS is an awesome car but it like someone said earlier, a diesel just isn't for me. Also, how a car sounds plays a big part for driving enjoyment personally which the vRS just can't deliver unfortunately. Thanks for all the tips and help guys, really appreciate it. I'll still browse this forum though as you lot are top notch :thumbup: Keep up the good work !

:-s remap from shark performance is <£400.00 and they're are reputabley up there with the best.

You won't need a new DMF unless you give it death under 2k revs.

You don't need a FMIC.

I would definatley recommend upgrading the brakes though

No you don't need to, but if you want to give it a wider rev band to play in, then the DMF will die pretty quickly, so you need to budget for replacing it at the same time or not too long after a remap. Otherwise you're going to end up with a nasty surprise in the future when you start using that low down torque.

On an 8v derv, there is only so far up the band you can go, so extra range comes from the torque and power coming in sooner.

To the OP, you can sell on here as a freedom member, otherwise good luck with the sale and I hope you get yourself a car that puts a smile on your face again :)

Edited by cheezemonkhai