Roof bar clamp position on rails?

I can't see anything in the manual to say where the bars should be mounted. I've just put a long roof box on and the front thule bar result in the feet being forward of the split on the car rail which feels like a join between a plastic cover and a metal rail. Does this matter at all? It's just a regular Thule rubber foot pack that clamps around the rail. I just don't know if that part of the rail is suitable for clamping on to.

I could slide the whole box backwards with the bars but then opening the boot becomes an right pain as someone needs to hold it to stop it hitting the back of the box.

Thanks in advance.

I've got a Thule Atlantis 200 box and the clamps are just on the metal section at the front, and just aft of the intermediate roof rail support at the back. The plastic bits cover the bolts fixing the rails onto the roof, and are only clipped on. I wouldn't fancy connecting directly onto these.

Have a look at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/101012-combi-roofbox-solution

Edited by London Les