Sick of DSG

Actually the older 'wet' DSG 'boxes are the most reliable of the lot. It should have had an oil change at 40,000 miles. Worth checking if this has been done.

Good luck sorting the car!

I had the fluid changed as soon as I got the car. The car is currently with Mr Gearbox, in Sheffield, I'm waiting to hear the verdict. I can just about afford it if it's DMF. If it is the DSG, will have to scrap the car (gulp!).  Glad to hear my 6 speed wet clutch is not too bad.

cheers, Mark

My 6 speed DSG (2006) now has 605,000kms on it. Fairly reliable.

605, 000kms Wow! that's proper mileage. Have you got a DSG fitted to an intergalactic starship?  Good to hear my 6 speed is that capable.

cheers, Mark

I think part of the problem has a lot to do with regional "discrepancies" that we are experiencing more and more often with Skoda UK. For example: this month VW Group announced service action/recall of 1.6 million cars with DQ200 DSG boxes. That's 7 speed DSG from O2/O2FL up until 2011. They change elements of mechatronic system and swap oil in sealed units because in certain conditions the oil originally used in them creates sulphur reaction with components causing their failure. As far as I know Skoda UK does not participate in this recall but admit they might eventually make it available to some clients as a "customer satisfaction programme" some time in 2014 because, in non direct and fully interpreted by me explanation - regular atmospheric conditions in UK make this process slow enough for failures to occur way outside of warranty and as such, there is no rush. Those that do travel a lot in hot and humid conditions and/or had their units failed, well, tough, I guess.

07 1.9 dsg 204,000 Mls used as taxi most of time fully loaded

Plus. Luggage.never less than 40 mpg mostly around town in traffic,

Dsg as good now as when I got it never had gearbox oil changed.

Sometimes go 40k between engine oil change,not seeing any change

With performance. Only using tiny amount oil between service.

Skoda octavia bullet proof I,m loving it.

Still getting 55mpg on long run. Can't fault this car

• Like 1

07 1.9 dsg 204,000 Mls used as taxi most of time fully loaded

Plus. Luggage.never less than 40 mpg mostly around town in traffic,

Dsg as good now as when I got it never had gearbox oil changed.

Sometimes go 40k between engine oil change,not seeing any change

With performance. Only using tiny amount oil between service.

Skoda octavia bullet proof I,m loving it.

Still getting 55mpg on long run. Can't fault this car

I think the whole gearbox oil change thing is a money making racket by VAG. You might consider changing the gearbox oil filter. 40k is way to long to go between engine oil changes, stick to 10k using the proper oil and genuine filter and the car should serve you well for many,many more miles.