ESP

Does anyone know if newish Skoda cars come with ESP as standard ?

I had a look through the brochures and dont see it listed in the specification, but maybe thats because its such a basic thing to have in a car that they dont even bother listing it ( like an engine lol )

Im specifically wondering if its standard on a 2010 Skoda Octavia 1.8 tsi manual hatchback

I believe it will depend on which version you specify, standard on top end models and optional on others. It is shown on the skoda website in the specs folder under safety and security.

Ian

Edited by countryboy

Having had a first hand experience of the life-saving effect of ESP I would not buy a car without it.

I have recently searched hard for a 2011 Octavia with ESP. Amazed how few dealers know which models have it, and how few know what ESP does, they think its traction control or ABS!

I can tell you from my research on Octavias that its standard fit on a VRS or Laurin and Klement model, also standard fit with a DSG box in any model. Its an option on all other models. I found very few that had it as an option and these generally also had sports suspension and 17" wheels as options. I bought a DSG 1.4 to get ESP and the box was a bonus and its fantastic, but then I had a DSG VRS2 Fab previously.

I should have added that unless ithe 1.8TSi manual you are looking at is a Laurin and Klement, it wont have had ESP fitted as standard.

I have only just noticed your location Obi, standard specs may differ there!

Not helpful I know, but I believe it's less than ayear until all new vehicles have to be fitted with ESP. So in the future this kind of question thankfully won't be required.

But at the moment it is all hit & miss.

Not helpful I know, but I believe it's less than ayear until all new vehicles have to be fitted with ESP. So in the future this kind of question thankfully won't be required.

But at the moment it is all hit & miss.

In extremis it's MISS (phew) if you've got ESP, and HIT (ouch) if you ain't!

Thanks for all the replies, so more a less its a bit hit and miss , especially with the model im looking at

Will be buying in the UK as we have none of these cars in Ireland

I know what ESP stands for................but In real life terms, what does ESP actually do, e.g. my car has gone out of control and im heading towards a wall and then ESP presumably kicks in and does what exactly ?

There is a straightforward explanation of ESP in the technical glossary towards the back of the Octavia brochure. If you want a more detailed explanation have a look at pages 167/168 of the Octavia Owner's Manual which you can download via the link below.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/121974-official-octavia-ii-facelift-documentation-available-for-download-from-skoda-as/

As we are on this topic I have a question. When I turn ignition on, all the lights on the dash light up, and the one with the car with skids on it says it is off. Should this be saying its on when I turn on the ignition? When I picked the car up 2 months ago, and the guy was going through things with me, he pressed the button to demonstrate what it was and does, and said he didn't understand why drivers didn't have it switched on when it's available in the vehicle. So, should it be switched on all the time? I'm certainly no mechanic, but I want things to be right.

Have a read of page 32 of the Owner's Manual for information on when the ESP light should illuminate. ESP is fully functional if the light is off when the engine is running. The ESP switch is used to switch it off; the normal mode is on.

Have a read of page 32 of the Owner's Manual for information on when the ESP light should illuminate. ESP is fully functional if the light is off when the engine is running. The ESP switch is used to switch it off; the normal mode is on.

Thanks for that.