changing timing chain

Joe67

Not done a fabia but the felicia is very similar and I did that myself. Very easy job, bit time consuming, especially cleaning the old sump gasket off! Other than that it was a piece of cake.

I've done a 1.4 before, dead easy but I'd recommend having a 24mm spanner and a mallet for that crank-end bolt, it was a bit of a pig.

Also, double check the timing, i'm not sure exactly of the confusion but there was some talk of some original Skoda chains being 1 tooth out of alignment. Not catastrophic but is a pain to strip down and re-do again.

Also, expect the new chain to only do about 10k before its rattling its nuts off again.

Dave.

Yeah the crank end can be a bugger. I used a ratchet and a piece of scaffolding as a leaver. Useful to have a second person to operate the brakes for that bit too! Saves making up a tool!

Alright,setting the timing was the part I wasn't to sure about.the mrs wants to continue learning in it,for now it's not been getting used since finding out the chain is the problem.would it still be safe enough to do a few miles in?

If it's just rattling it should be fine, the Skoda change interval was something daft like 120k but most people just do it when the noise gets too much for them.

it does it alittle louder/nippy lol after a few miles,i posted a video of ti before and after on another thread:

when first started

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQQw9VF9Z44&feature=player_embedded

after a good few miles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LpUGQt8aLY&feature=player_embedded

reposted those for those who havnt seen,other thread got abit messed up lol

120k dam this is only at 69000

so after hearing those clips and know its at 69000 still think its ok to drive?

Edited by Joe67

• 4 weeks later...