OBD lights, PAS warning light, Air bag light

• Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 1 posts

Posted Today, 03:50

Hi evryone can anyone shed any light on a problem I have just started getting on my 05 Octavia.

1. On dash PAS & Air bag warning lights started flickering when driving.

2.PAS light stopped flickering and Air bag light stayed on permanently.

3. Pas light stays on then all dash cuts out then comes back on.

Have connected it to a diagnostic unit and it says problem is in dash. all faults were cleared and

within 5 mins of driving fault returned.

Garage (non dealership) is telling me i need a new instrument cluster which is 300 quid without labour and cluster can only be set up by a dealership.

I am taking the dash out myself today and looking for loose connetions shorts etc but, thought i would post just incase anyone had come across this before.

Any ideas at all would be much appreciated....

Thanks Denis yes it is a Mk11 and the codes were :-

00381 databus instrument cluster leaking

01309 steering assist control unit -j5 open circuit

01317control unit in dash panel insert-j285 sporadic open circuit

Thanks for this further information in your introductory thread, Anthony. Hopefully some expert advice will be forthcoming shortly.

ok so after much removal of panels and engine bay components still not found any obvious wiring faults.

Put most of it back together so it could be driven started the engine and instrument cluster kept cutting out. Just out of curiosity I decided to adjust the steering column and with the engine running turned the wheel to full lock in both directions about 6 times and the power steering fault light went out and has stayed out and even after a 10 mile test drive has still not come back on.

Have plugged it back into the computer and is now showing following fault codes.

00381 databus instrument cluster leaking

01299 diagnostic interface for databus open circuit.

Well the instrument cluster is away to BBA-Reman today for a diagnostic and if required refurb, total cost depending on refurb will be approx £155.

I could of had it done for less but they offer an owner related lifetime warranty on their work which, considering it's the first time I have had to have a repair like this done I considered it to be the best option. Some repairers are only offering 3 month warranties on their parts and work.

Will let everyone know how it all works ou.t