Changed the gear knob!

I suppose most of the users in this forum has DSG Superbs but maybe this post will interest some of the few manual drivers.

I´ve never liked the look and the feeling of the gear knob in my Superb and after driving a new Passat with a "golfball"-knob I realized I wanted to change mine. The feeling when changing gears in the Passat was so nice compared to my Superb. So I did a search on Briskoda and found that there was some that had changed the knobs in their Octavias. A popular knob was the S-line knob from the Audi A4 (see link further below to a Octavia thread) but it looked so tall. After looking around I found the knob from the Audi TTS appealing and bought one thru Ebay.

The swapping was quite easy and the guide in the Octavia thread is almost spot on. I was hoping that the knob should be about 1 cm shorter as well but in the end the difference was only about 0,5 cm shorter. However driving the car was a whole new experience (Ok ok I´m exaggerating a bit), it feels a bit different to drive and it looks in my opinion much better now! :)

Link to the Octavia thread:

http://www.briskoda....ob/page__st__30

Some pictures (the pictures of the old one is in first gear and the new on is in neutral):

35420121215079fe7.jpg

3c42012121259e47b.jpg

7942012121552e214.jpg

bf420121216488f5c.jpg

Edited by Dj Mastergrind

I can see where you're coming from on this. My first reaction driving the Superb was that the knob was too big and square for my little hands. Gear changes were slower and more deliberate as a result.

Is your new knob a good tight fit? It doesn't feel loose or shakey at all? Is it nice and firm?

How's your old knob looking? When my Superb arrives, it's from a lease company so eventually I'll have to perform a re-knob transplant. Can I put my old knob back in again?

Edited by Jules Tohpipi

I sort of see where you're coming from on this. My first reaction driving the Superb was that the knob was too big and square for my little hands. Gear changes were slower and more deliberate as a result.

Is your new knob a good tight fit? It doesn't feel loose or shakey at all? Is it nice and firm?

How's your old knob looking? When my Superb arrives, it's from a lease company so eventually I'll have to perform a re-knob transplant. Can I put my old knob back in again?

It is as tight and solid as it could be. Feels like a factory fit! :rock: All VAG cars from somewhere around 2003 has the same diameter on the shaft so a knob transplant shouldnt be a problem. My car is also a lease company car and yes, you can put the old knob back. Just be a little extra careful during the transplant not making damages to the old one.

Thank you for the reply. It sounds promising indeed then. I might give this a try when the car arrives.

I'll be especially careful with my Superb knob during the transplant.

I'm looking at the photos of your new knob Mr Mastergrind, but can't quite make out if it's got TTs on it? It looks nice and may feel great, but I'm not 100% certain if I'd want others to see TTs on my knob when they get in the car.

Edited by Jules Tohpipi

Yes it has TTS on it, but quite discrete. I had never bought a knob with the word Audi on it. Most people I know doesn't know what TTS stands for. So TTS or Momo etc doesn't make any difference. That's how I feel about it :)

Still if one likes the look of it I think there's a knob from the standard TT without the word on it. My knob is from the latest generation of TTs.

Glass Back ->-> Sorry the old one is not for sale. It's a lease car so Im gonna swap back before I change to a new car next time.

:blush: