Mk1 Ocatvia vRS remap/suspension tune or buy a Mk2

grawhi80

Hi,

Was just after the opinions of those in the know...

Would I get a better performance car by:

a) getting engine remapped (already have an exhaust on car), so hoping to get around 225bhp - May get up to 240BHP

Having the suspension altered either by anit-roll bars or new springs - potentially dampers

B) buy a newer mk2 (possibly a Limited Ed for the lovely interior)

I think the petrol is more up my street, but if anyone really rates the diesel I'll give it a go.

My current car has covered 95k (it was when I bought it with 65k on the clock).

I find it too wibbly wobbly in the corners for my liking.

I've not had chance to drive a mk2, but as it's based on a superior chassis I'm assuming it has more control already.

Thanks for the replies,

G

I had a mk1 octy vrs for 2 years & i replaced it with a mk2 octy tfsi vrs,as good as the mk 1 is the mk2 is way better in every aspect (my opinion) both mine were/are standard,i always felt the mk1 was missing something,not quite the car i expected,a re-map & new suspension/brakes will improve it,im more than happy with my mk2 & have no plans to change it (had it 18 months now) maybe test drive a mk2 & see if its the car for you? if not id modify what you already have.

never had a mk1 but have a mk2 tfsi with 70k on the clock,its been remapped and made just short of 243 bhp with no other modes.running in standard form it was not bad till you really start pushing it,after the remap it can be a bit it wibbly wobbly in the corners because of the extra power etc.I felt that the car was a not that quick in standard form but loads of people are very happy them that way.like above have a test drive and see for your self.

If its feeling wobbly in the bends id get it up in the air and check out the suspension, bushings etc.

A lot of people on here will tell you that for less money than a remap you can get the handling on the MkI "Sorted" - uprated anti-sway bars, TT/R32 or Polyurethane bushes and really make full use of the MkI's stock power. Personally I've never bought into a lot of the criticisms of the MkI's handling, I don't hang around (emergency services trained response driver) and have never once felt mine to be lacking in the twisties in stock form, but that's just me.

The MKII has never really appealed to me in terms of looks and my experiences in the passenger seat - I've never driven one though, so as suggested book a test drive and see what you think, thats the only way to know for sure!

nly thing that would put me off buying a whole new car is that presently you wont recoup many pennies for your MkI :(

When I say "wobbly" I mean there's a little more body roll than I'd like.

To be fair this is my first car above Supermini size, so maybe I'm a little unrealistic on how it should perform.

I'd like it to be stiffer, and for me I could take a drop in comfort on the ride. But it is the daily driver and as I regularly holiday in the UK can be subject to a few very long motorway/A road/B road journeys.

My missus loves it, but she won't swap me for her mk1 Elise :sweat:

Maybe a decent set of coilovers & a rear anti roll bar would make you happier with the car. If you both like the car & thats all thats wrong with it then id say upgade the suspension & keep it.

I did test drive a mk2 when they were new and felt that the mk1 is more of a drivers car. The mk2 is a nice place to be interior is much nicer.

I tested both cars back to back up a big hill then down country lane the mk1 was 10 mph faster up the hill and both cars quite good in the twisties.

My personal preference was the mk1. Now it has a stage 1 map, coilovers and front n rear anti roll bars. Now its in a different league to a standard car.