Rattles

Ive been reading alot of posts on this forum about rattles coming from cars, cannot find where rattles are coming from, wind noise etc etc

Is this a common thing in Skodas........ that they are not as solidly built as other manufacturers ??

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Skoda and will probably buy one as my next car but all these rattle posts are making me think about the build quality of Skoda's.

Edited by obi604

Hi

The build quality i think is excellent.Some posts on here are from people who have rattles,most commonly from the dash but some have found an easy fix.Also with wind noise,most common again is the rear quarter windows but some have solved that too.

Strangely mine is a 2006 model and i have not had any rattles/wind noise at all.

Skoda,s are built very well compared to some other VAG cars.

Any car can get a rattle after a few years.

I get the occasional one in my VRS but they do seem to come and go and my VRS is nearly 5 years old.

My previous cars have all been much much worse for rattles. I had a clio which drove me nuts there were that many plus squeaks and other odd noises.

Remember forums are places to ask about faults, that's why you will see many problems on any car marque forum. Just Google BMW e90 door rubber squeaking!, far worse than any octavia squeak or rattle. That said my Mrs astra h rattles less than the octavia

My 59 Octavia has numerous rattles and squeaks, mostly the glovebox, the instrument cluster and boot area. The glovebox sqeak is well known and there are numerous remedies posted on this forum. Rattles from the boot area are too numerous to go thru here but this forum has many examples as does the various forums for VW Jetta and Golf. There have also been some horror stories about certain Audi models mainly A3.

I bought my Octavia on the strength of an acquaintance's experience - not a thing wrong in 5 years no rattles squeaks nor any mechanical problems. A drive in his car assured me that Skoda are not the joke they once were. However within two months of taking delivery the rattle in the boot started. It could only be heard on rough roads, but was embarrassingly loud when present. I told the manager of supplying dealer that I was astonished at this, after all VW are supposed to have a build quality second to what I don't know. Anyway, at first service I asked service dept to check it out. They took car on a test drive and nothing found, all quiet and normal.

I can live with the glove box squeak and the odd ping from the instrument cluster but the boot rattle is very annoying, especially when passengers make obvious comments.

Over several decades I have had a variety of company cars (Mercedes, Volvo, Honda and even a V8 Chevrolet) none have rattled like my Octavia. This car is the first I have paid for myself. Sod's Law it'll turn out to be a lemon! Of course the Skoda cost somewhat less than a Mercedes or Volvo and as they say you get what you pay for.

My acquaintance has now sold his Octavia and bought a Volvo sportwagon (whatever that is). I think he fancied a change.

But my experience must be tempered by the good reviews of the majority of Skoda owners as expressed in several car magazines.

I have a 2011 VRS CR with a constant rattle from the back seat / parcel shelf area which I am unable to trace . The glove box had worked loose and was rattling but that was fixed by the dealer. Now every so often there is a buzzing sound coming from the drivers door and a rattle from the top of the dash board ( only once and has yet to return). As for build quality , I cant complain , the car is excellent , comfortable and nice to drive. My previous car was a MK6 golf and it was as hell for rattles , it was an ex demo and i believe it had been damaged and repaired but the VW dealer did not admit to this but were happy enough to take the car back .

I have a 2011 VRS CR with a constant rattle from the back seat / parcel shelf area which I am unable to trace . The glove box had worked loose and was rattling but that was fixed by the dealer. Now every so often there is a buzzing sound coming from the drivers door and a rattle from the top of the dash board ( only once and has yet to return). As for build quality , I cant complain , the car is excellent , comfortable and nice to drive. My previous car was a MK6 golf and it was as hell for rattles , it was an ex demo and i believe it had been damaged and repaired but the VW dealer did not admit to this but were happy enough to take the car back .

I can pretty much gurantee this will be one of the rear seat bolsters...The piece that stays upright when the seats are down.....Bash this with your fist and see if it makes a simlilar noise.

If you want rattles, try a VW Polo.....My old one had a whole new dash and it was still awful.