Bit of a daft question on car identification

Feel a bit daft asking this but how can I check my new car is what it is supposed to be?

Just replaced my 06 plate Elegance 2.0tdi cr estate with a 12 plate one exactly the same.

The differences I have noticed are that it is rediculously efficient - 10mpg better than old one on standard work run, it is higher geared - 1600rpm for 62mph in 6th compared to 1800rpm in old one and it only has one tail pipe! This gives the bizarre thought that the car is the 1.9tdi instead.

Have they changed the gearbox in the last 6 years and changed the number of exhaust pipes?

Looking forward to being ridiculed,

Andy.

The 2.0 CR TDi has twin tail pipes, the 1.6 CR TDi and 1.9 PD TDi get a single tail pipe.

The 1.9 TDi isn't available as a 6 speed though so if your sure its a diesel, it has six forward gears and a single tail pipe you've got the 1.6.

The higher MPG also suggests that you have the more efficient 1.6, are you measuring from the onboard computer or are you calculating MPG manually?

Just replaced my 06 plate Elegance 2.0tdi cr estate with a 12 plate one exactly the same.

I am fairly sure that in 2006 there was no 2.0TDi "CR" in Elegance I can only see that engine from around 2010 but there was a 2.0TDi "PD". That would mean there are some differences in that side of things the newer CR being a common rail fuel delivery system.Also the Octavia II was heavier than the newer face lift version (200kg ish according to specs for the elegance estates) so that would be another factor. FL probably more aerodynamic as well.

Most likely a lot more changes along the way too that will have helped, but anyways how is the new car to drive compared to old one?

The 2.0 CR TDi has twin tail pipes, the 1.6 CR TDi and 1.9 PD TDi get a single tail pipe.

The 1.9 TDi isn't available as a 6 speed though so if your sure its a diesel, it has six forward gears and a single tail pipe you've got the 1.6.

The higher MPG also suggests that you have the more efficient 1.6, are you measuring from the onboard computer or are you calculating MPG manually?

May have had a different back box waked on at some point in its life also.

I'd hope not if it is a 2012 model...

lol I thought he meant the old one :giggle: In that case does it feel like its got 40 less BHP?

Measuring from the computer, only got it yesterday so no chance to check anything yet. Defo a diesel. Invoice says 2.0tdi CR.

Last one was 2.0tdi 140bhp elegance, thought it was cr but could be wrong I guess, had much less turbo lag than previous 1.9pd engine.

Single tail pipe has me very confused. Identifier is TDI with a red I.

Power feels similar to last one but not pushed it yet, hence the 71mpg trip to work!

The MPG reading on computer can exaggerate some up some down best thing is to work it out the old fashioned way being new id think it should give better MPG once run in anyway so thats another plus either way. If you have V5 (log book) you can see the size of engine on there if your really stuck or owners manual will show you the lay out under bonnet for each type as well to compare.

Mine only has one tail pipe and it is an Elegance Estate 2.0L CR TDi 140PS with 6 forward gears.

Another recent change then. All the 2011 2.0 CR TDi's on Autotrader have the twin tail pipes. When was your car built?

Mine only has one tail pipe and it is an Elegance Estate 2.0L CR TDi 140PS with 6 forward gears.

Richard

Sounds good, I really didn't think the garage would mess up that badly but the single pipe had me wondering.

Will keep an eye on efficiency and hope the computer is realistic.

Edited by AndyLD

On mine you cannot see the exhaust unless you get down to ground level whilst the Autotrader pictures show the twin pies extending past the bumper.

It also has a circular cut out in the bumper for the exhaust. The engine is a CFHC

How do I discover when my car was built?

Richard

Measuring from the computer, only got it yesterday so no chance to check anything yet. Defo a diesel. Invoice says 2.0tdi CR.

Last one was 2.0tdi 140bhp elegance, thought it was cr but could be wrong I guess, had much less turbo lag than previous 1.9pd engine.

Single tail pipe has me very confused. Identifier is TDI with a red I.

The simple explanation is that your earlier car was a 2.0 PD140 Elegance and your current car is a 2.0 CR140 Elegance. There were no CR engined Octavias around in 2006 so yours would have to have been a PD. I would expect the CR version to be about 5-10 MPG better than the previous PD, which fits with what you're seeing. As others have said the 140 engine now has a single tailpipe as standard. The red 'I' also indicates its the 2.0 140 PS version.

• Like 1

On mine you cannot see the exhaust unless you get down to ground level whilst the Autotrader pictures show the twin pies extending past the bumper.

It also has a circular cut out in the bumper for the exhaust. The engine is a CFHC

How do I discover when my car was built?

Richard

Your dealer can tell you exactly when your car was built if you go in and tell them your reg number, that will tell them the chassis number and from that they should be able to get the build details. That is what they told me. It was registered on 29th April 2009 but was actually built on 23rd October 2008, just before the shut down for the change to the facelift Octavia.

Ian

To the OP, If you look under the boot carpet there should be a tag with the engine code on it. Should be able to work out which engine from that. Or failing that if you give me your reg no. I can look it up on my works computer.

Cheers everyone for your thoughts.

I am now sure it is what I was sold, they changed to single tailpipe a while ago. It's still impressively efficient which I'm enjoying in a geeky sort of way.

And yes the last one was a PD and the CR is a lot smoother although I kinda miss the turbo lag.