exhaust rules

I read it's something like euro 3 cars or something onwards, can't remember the exact year but it does look like newer derv engines for an mot will fail with a de cat.

No they won't, you may be getting confused by the introduction of lower smoke limits for diesel cars first used after July 2008. Even these lower limits shouldn't really be a problem for anything older, I had a 1994 Golf diesel the other day which produced a smoke reading substantially under the new lower smoke limit.

See this is all what i thought. But apparently the new laws brought in this april mean that any vehicle with a cat fitted by the manufacturer must have it on the vehicle for test, and also any warning lights are a fail. So things like no windscreen wash.

Anyone had a test done recently?

the new laws are for cars that need a full cat test and you can have an engine warning light on and it will pass aslong as it go's throw an emissions test and wind screen wash inop has always been a fail

Fair enough. Thanks for feedback. I make sure no warning lights on anyway as i always assumed this was a fail.

Was just the cat thing, i shall go wind my mechanic friend up with your comments.

Lol