New Fabia VRS Owner - few issues..

Hi all,

Picked up my girlfriends Fabia VRS se on Friday with 45k on the clock and I must admit it is a hoot to drive. Lovely little car and brilliant on mpg too.

Anyway it has a few teething problems that were not apparent when we took it for a test drive it but it has a pretty decent 3 month warranty on it. The only problem is the place I bought it from is quite a distance away from me so would like to know your opinions.

I have performed a few searches so I have a few Idea's of what the problems could be.

1.) Around 5 seconds after the engine is switched off their is a humming/whoopee cushion type noise coming from the engine bay (Lasts around 5-6 seconds. Upon close inspection it looks like the little black box on top of the Suspension strut. Checked all pipe's too and from but they all seem ok.

2.) We seem to have an Intermittent 'Emission's exhaust gases light' that goes on and off. (Don't suppose anyone on here lives close to offer me a VagCom check for a couple of tinnies) :blush:

Any Idea's?

Next Question. As I/we will hopefully be attending some meets soon I cannot work out which 'Region' suits me best as we are from berks. South Central?

Now for some pic's of the new purchase:

post-89295-0-57605100-1336973746_thumb.jpg

post-89295-0-05414800-1336973756_thumb.jpg

post-89295-0-91491000-1336973770_thumb.jpg

1. No idea

2. I'd say the previous owner has replaced the egr gasket to one with a smaller hole in it to stop the stutter.

I'd agree with this. Basically, to replace a light-throttle stutter, a gasket in the EGR system is replaced with a 9mm one. Unfortunately, under certain conditions, it can cause the engine management light to come on, as it thinks there's a problem. Solution is to find the 9mm gasket, and have it made bigger, to about 12mm at a maximum. Could try less of an increase too, if you wanted.

Mine didn't show the EML light at all after install of the smaller gasket, but for some reason after a cambelt change, it's started cropping up on long runs now and then.

1. Had same issue a while back, my response and findings:

http://www.briskoda...._1#entry1953146

http://www.briskoda...._1#entry2005276

Hope this helps

So once this vacuum box was replaced did the sound go away?

I will have a look into the EGR gasket scenario aswell as I must admit I have not experienced any kind of stutter. The cars power delivery is very smooth.

I am assuming it is reasonably safe to drive the car like this though?

Yeah the noise went away and hasn't returned. But if it does return I now know what it is and that it shouldn't happen lol

Regarding the stutter issue, I can feel it the odd time when putting the foot down in say a higher gear for about 3 secs you can feel it stuttering but nothing that has really annoyed me, I know its part of the car and its not a problem - others may differ.