Fully Spec'd Second Hand FL vRS

Me and the Mrs test drove a FL Octy vRS, loved it, but due to an impending arrival and subsequent maternity leave we aren't really in a position to buy until the autumn until her wage is back to normal.

The vRS we tested was pretty much bog standard but I'm wondering how hard it is, or how hard will it be to find a second hand one with the spec I now want (after spending far too much time on here!). I'm after leather seats, heated seats, xenon's, rear parking sensors and possibly black alloys. Probably all in that order of preference too.

I'd almost be tempted to buy brand new so I can get it exactly how I want, but I'm really not keen on the depreciation side of things.

DM Keith in Wakefield is my local dealer, so obviously they can source from the others in West Yorkshire but am I right in thinking that people who spec their car to that level, generally don't tend to part with them after 18months/2 years, so they're going to be very few and far between?

Cheers for any advice.

Motorline in Canterbury have pretty much exactly the car you want (it's a diesel in red - don't know if that suits).

It's on auto trader but it's up for £16k.

The problem with nearly new ones at the mo is they command a reasonable premium because there's a 20 week wait on a new one. Considering the new price for a CR VRS with xenons and rear parking sensors is about £18500 I'd want to be paying far below15k for one a year old, even if it does come with all those options.

The one we tested was diesel, 15k with 9000 on the clock. Registered Jan '11 but it was all standard equipment, thought it was a bargain at the time, but might be better hanging fire.

Is the 20 week wait likely to continue for the forseeable?

Edited by sihaworth
  • Like 1

I was looking for 3 months for one with all the spec I wanted given my budget which sounds like a lot less and even then I settled for the one I have now, if I were you I wouldn't be getting hung up on getting it fully specked, look for the important things like history and mileage etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one we tested was diesel, 15k with 9000 on the clock. Registered Jan '11 but it was all standard equipment, thought it was a bargain at the time, but might be better hanging fire.

Is the 20 week wait likely to continue for the forseeable?

You could possibly get Canterbury down to that - take a look on auto trader then give em a call. I'm doing a 200 mile round trip this weekend to look at a car I want to buy - worth doing for the right car.

Te 20 week is approximate, but every new car I've bought has taken about 12 weeks to build and import - you're never gonna get one instantly unless there happens to be exactly what you want on the dealer's consignment stock list.....

Most of the ones I see for sale have pretty sparse specs, however to put that in context I'm comparing with my own car which has er, every option bar nav and leather i think... :)

Black wheels - easy to do after the event, so don't include these on your criteria list, just assume 200-250 quid with a refurber after you've bought the car to cover it. Park sensors can be retro fit, not easy but possible. Xenons much harder to add later. Leather can be done aftermarket too - see "seat surgeons" or similar..

HTH.

Here is the full blurb from auto trader (includes list of standard spec so bear with it)

5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 12,412 miles, Corrida Red, Driver, Passenger And Front Side Air Bags, Cruise Control, 18In Alloy Wheels, Radio/CD Autochanger/MP3, Anti-Lock Brakes, Seat - ISOFIX Anchorage Point, Climate Control, Alarm, Electronic Stability Programme, Xenon Headlights, Trip Computer, Maxi-Dot Trip Computer, Driver/Passenger Seat Height Adjustment, Front/Rear Electric Windows, Power-Assisted Steering, Remote Central Door Locking, Front/Rear Head Restraints, Rake/Reach Adjustable Steering Column/Wheel, Seats Split Rear, 6 speed manual gearbox, Tinted Glass, Electric/Heated Door Mirrors, Body Coloured Bumpers, Steering Wheel Leather, Eight Speakers, Front Fog Lights, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, Light Asst, Rain Sensor, Immobiliser, Centre Rear Seat Belt, Spacesaver Spare Wheel, Heated Leather Seats. £15,995 Non VAT Qualifying

10-11 weeks from date order is accepted to date of delivery at the moment.

Was 10 weeks but the change to MY13 has set it back.

Only 7 weeks left for me to wait then.

BTW I got a new one in the spec I wanted for £500 more than a 6 month old one of the same spec in Cornwall.

I was looking for 3 months for one with all the spec I wanted given my budget which sounds like a lot less and even then I settled for the one I have now, if I were you I wouldn't be getting hung up on getting it fully specked, look for the important things like history and mileage etc

Good point. I wouldn't ignore the essentials such as milage/service history but I suppose I'm just accepting that as a given because I'll be buying from a main dealer.

Thanks for the responses though so far, it's much appreciated.

You can search for used cars nationwide on the Skoda website. Prices seem very high though as new ones have the 'no VAT' deal on at the moment.

I found that the dealers weren't willing to budge much over the phone and a 500 mile round trip to haggle on the price was too much.

I was a cash buyer but I took out the minimum finance over the minimum term to get 3 years free servicing. Worked out at £180 in finance charges so £60 a service (low mileage driver so opting for fixed servicing).

Hi

It took me some searching to find my vRS with the spec I wanted as most were standard spec. It's worth looking on the various ad sites but it does become tiring.

The new offers are good on the vRS but my only reservation is the potentially long lead time and how this may impact on the price of any part-ex, unless you can get the dealer to maintain the balance to change figure.

Mine is still for sale on the classified section but it has slipped off the front page due to lack of interest. It has the spec you want bar the leather seats. If you need any more details let me know.

Regards

Chubbs

My old white one is on autotrader down in Bristol. White petrol hatch with approx 17k on the clock, remapped, 19" alloys, coilovers suspension, DSG gearbox, heated leather seats, upgraded speakers, £13,999.

If it interets you, my local dealer ordered my car back in March, but it was incorrectly ordered so its going to be a demo for them for 3 months, its candy white CR TDI DSG, full leather, parking sensors, heated seats, bluetooth, spare wheel, sunroof and black alloys, could be one for you maybe I am sure they would do a deal on it as its just going to be dealer stock, its due any day now as I believe it was built two weeks ago, only things its missing is the xenons, OK it wont eb cheap, but with the VAT deal etc personally I think buying a used one just doesnt make sense, you can get finance rates on new ones, get free servicing for three years, so any expense you would normally have with a used one you can just lump into your monthly finance payment and forget about everything!

If you are interested let me know and I will put you in touch mate :-)