Things to do....

Hi all!

I know this may have been posted a thousand times, but i've searched and can't really find a definitive answer!

I want to replace the air filter in the car to make the engine sound a bit dirtier. I have read a lot of posts, but none of them really say what is best, or peoples experiences. I know that there isn't any performance increase, its purely a sound thing.

Any thoughts, experiences?

Also, I am going to need to replace the disks and pads in about 6 months, so are there any recommended uprated or stock?

So far i'm loving the car, and only really want to do the above, remap and maybe suspension upgrade before I take it to the 'Ring next year :)

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this another repeat post!

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by PC Dave

You mean an induction kit.To be honest unless you do it properly it ain't worth doing,you will probably find a performance decrease if you don't protect the filter form the engine heat.

If you want better sound then maybe a performance exhaust..

Just to add maybe have a look at pipercross viper kits.

Edited by Dolla

You mean an induction kit.To be honest unless you do it properly it ain't worth doing,you will probably find a performance decrease if you don't protect the filter form the engine heat.

If you want better sound then maybe a performance exhaust..

The Evoms (which I have fitted) has an enclosure for the filter, but if it didn't it would still be massively more efficent than a flat panel paper filter sitting in an engine cover a few inches away from the exhaust mainfold??

DSC02960.jpg

It sounds great, especially since fitting a Miltek dp and Shark stage 2 software. :thumbup:

Wot has it made it louder or deeper, coz mine sounds like darth vader.

To put it bluntly.

The reason an induction kit is fitted to cars is to get more clean cool air into the engine,more air means more fuel can be burnt,the more fuel burnt the more power the engine can produce.

But more air means more fuel means more exhaust gasess,just fitting an induction kit will have little effect if any,you'll maybe get a flat spot make it sound more beasty,the noise you here is just the filter sucking in air.Modifications usually have to go along with other mods to get the correct effect.If your induction kit is putting more air into the engine then a performance exhaust would be a good idea,so all the extra air and burnt fuel can get out easily.then maybe a remap to iron out the flat spots and for the engine to use its new induction and exhaust efficiently.

Answer to the OP question is they are worth fitting but only if they are done/installed correctly and in balance with other mods.

Otherwise an aftermarket panelfilter will be better.

The Evoms (which I have fitted) has an enclosure for the filter, but if it didn't it would still be massively more efficent than a flat panel paper filter sitting in an engine cover a few inches away from the exhaust mainfold??

DSC02960.jpg

It sounds great, especially since fitting a Miltek dp and Shark stage 2 software. :thumbup:

The reason a filter is enclosed in a box is to protect it from engine heat etc,If all your exposed induction filter is doing is sucking up masses amounts of engine heat then it won't be better.It might look more awesome and pleasing when you lift the bonnet to show off to your mates but that's it.

The reason a filter is enclosed in a box is to protect it from engine heat etc,If all your exposed induction filter is doing is sucking up masses amounts of engine heat then it won't be better.It might look more awesome and pleasing when you lift the bonnet to show off to your mates but that's it.

But that's the point, it doesn't suck in heat soaked air, it's protected from that by the enclosure, and the OE air box will suffer much more sitting directly over the engine. The fact that the air box has been relocated on the Tsi should make that quite obvious?

These intakes have been tested to death and increase performance by up to 10-12 bhp in some cases. Although I agree with the view that more air in = more exhaust gas out so a large bore, hi-flow down pipe is required...........which I have! ;)

But that's the point, it doesn't suck in heat soaked air, it's protected from that by the enclosure, and the OE air box will suffer much more sitting directly over the engine. The fact that the air box has been relocated on the Tsi should make that quite obvious?

These intakes have been tested to death and increase performance by up to 10-12 bhp in some cases. Although I agree with the view that more air in = more exhaust gas out so a large bore, hi-flow down pipe is required...........which I have! ;)

Hey i'm not knocking what you've done to your car,the pic is a nice clean example and you have gone and done some other mods along with it to improve performance.

What i'm saying to the OP is unless you're gonna go and do something similar to the above pic and do a proper job,in my opinion its not worth doing. ;)

I have -30mm PI Springs (supplied from the H&R factory), ride height is almost perfect imo, but not happy with the amount of bounce, although VAG tend to be over sprung and under dampered I think something like Eibach would be different/better. That said bluevrs has the same springs with Koni FSD dampers and he says they are spot on, so perhaps my OE dampers are fooked?

I may invest in some coil overs if I keep the car, but atm I'm getting itchy feet for an FL Tsi or Audi A4 Avant......