2009(09) Fabia Greenline 1.4PD clutch problem

I have been driving my dads Fabia 1.4 PD greenline today, and experienced a major issue with the clutch.

The big issue is that it becomes impossible to select any gear with the engine running, however if you switch off the engine you can select the gears easily. When the problem is occurring, you can select a gear and start the engine and drive using that gear but if you drop the clutch you can feel that the clutch has not fully disengaged, and if you move to neutral it needs a bit of effort to select it due to the clutch drag.

After leaving the car for a period of time (in this case 3 hours) it then drives normally again without issues, changing gear as it should.

The car is normally used for short runs, and at three years old the car has covered 22,000 miles however today I have driven it 160 miles from Stevenage to Hounslow and back so maybe the problem only occurs when the car is nice and warm.

Any ideas, the car is running out warranty in a few weeks to needs to be sorted ASAP.

Just an update, after being left overnight the car is really bad and almost impossible to select anything with the engine running.

Checked several times during the day today and the car is still the same. Skoda Assist are coming out tomorrow to check and if necessary recover the car to Progress Skoda in Letchworth as its currently not driveable. The Warranty runs out at the end of July, so it must be sorted by then.

Checked several times during the day today and the car is still the same. Skoda Assist are coming out tomorrow to check and if necessary recover the car to Progress Skoda in Letchworth as its currently not driveable. The Warranty runs out at the end of July, so it must be sorted by then.

As long as you record the problem with them before the warranty runs out, they can't complain if you go out of warranty if they don't fix it in time so don't worry.

His car has been recovered today by Skoda Assist to Progress in Letchworth, they have also provided a courtesy car so he is still mobile. Not sure what the problem is yet, but I'll update this thread once the cause has been identified.

If its the clutch, it wont still be under warranty! They cost around about £;600 from the main dealer, although mine gave me a discount, at a few notes under £;500

Edited by mrgf

It just might be hydraulics Mannyo, so it will be covered under warranty if that 's the case. I've come across this problem on various motors in the past that use the combined hydraulic system, as on our Fabia's. It often causes an intermittent fault such as the one you describe. It can still be a cover assembly fault or sticking clutch disc (on the gearbox output shaft). Sometimes an oil weep or leak on the gearbox output side can cause the sticking in which case it will again normally be covered under warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing this back to the top,

After progress had the car for 3 days when this thread was posted they drove the car extensively but no fault code be found and indeed it has not occurred since.

As there was obviously a fault somewhere, witnessed by 3 people my dad and the dealer agreed that during this week they would take the car back and investigate further as long as he agreed to pay labour if nothing was found.

Yesterday the car went in, and today he collected the car with a total bill of zero pounds.

The fault turned out to be the clutch guide sleeve leaking oil onto and therefore contaminating the clutch and flywheel. and the problem was because the clutch and flywheel were sticking together.

Parts replaced under warranty:

Clutch Guide Sleeve,

Clutch plate,

Flywheel,

Release bearing,

So he is a happy man again, the car is fixed and he can trust it again.