Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPi Classic issue

I have this exact same car 2001 model year.

25000 miles, loaned to me from a good friend of mine until his 15 year old son is old enough to drive!!!

last night on the way home the steering started getting heavy then light, the steering warning light came on just as i got home.

This morning on the way to work seems fine no warning light, and ok steering.

I suppose i've been very lucky so far.

I'll do the usual checks, including VAG-COM diagnostics.

Electric servo. Common fault on these. Its either the sensor or the pump itself.

You'll get all kinds of irrelevant DTC's, so don't believe everything VAG-COM says.

Edited by DaKKs_152

Only time I ever had this issue was after a battery had some major drain... A full charge up just before winter and all was good.

Then again, could be many things related to electrical. As mentioned, battery, alternator (not supplying enough charge to the battery?), steering angle sensor, or servo are all likely candidates.

When it comes to faults like this... I generally chuck on VCDS, do a scan, then work back from the causes from the simplest to the most difficult/expensive.

As with many faults on cars... probably about 75% of 'expensive' faults are actually inexpensive components built by the lowest bidder that fail. The law of lowest common denominator applies. ;)

Ok, just carried out diagnostic check, 1 fault code 'steering sensor open or short to plus, intermittent'

I suppose I'll start looking for a new steering angle sensor.

Is it really located in the engine bay at the bottom of the steering column?

why does the Haynes manual say it's behind the steering wheel?

Ok, just carried out diagnostic check, 1 fault code 'steering sensor open or short to plus, intermittent'

I suppose I'll start looking for a new steering angle sensor.

Is it really located in the engine bay at the bottom of the steering column?

why does the Haynes manual say it's behind the steering wheel?

Clear the codes. VAG cars have a priority system. Intermittent can be a reoccurring issue, or a downgraded critical DTC.

I'd personally say if you're having a current problem and VCDS/vagcom is complaining of the steering angle sensor... Suspect it's that which is causing issues.

First things first though... Unplug the plug on the steering angle sensor. Inspect it. Clean it with electrical contact cleaner. Insulate it properly with some servisol silicone grease (you can get it from maplins, code RE90X - a fiver when I bought it for a big old tube) - It has to be dielectric grease to keep moisture out... Then give it a run again and see if that remedies your issue.

This could purely be corrosion on the plug that is causing voltage leakage across the terminals. The silicone grease should insulate each terminal properly, keeping moisture out preventing corrosion again, and possibly curing your problem.

Note - VAG electrical contact plugs are pretty poor for moisture protection and corrosion. They should have put some silicone grease on as part of the initial build in my opinion, but obviously chose not to. Bit of a cost cutting exercise that usually results in electrical components failing.

But if you take the time to clean and then properly grease all your electrical contacts, you'll more than likely find it helps a lot. This was highlighted a while ago with things like 'the cage mod' etc.

• Like 2