Urban Discounts

Truthseeker

Are there any "Urban" owners who have managed to obtain a decent discount of their new car? (not pre-reg or broker sales). Seems quite a few Yeti owners are getting sizeable main dealer discounts of up to 12% (ie: £2131 off RRP or £1776 off Basic on a typical SE 110 2WD).

I consider myself a hardened negotiator but could only get £400 discount on my Diesel Urban with no p/ex. I was going to order a white Urban petrol, expecting a 4 month wait, but dealer had a white diesel on route to UK, with just over a week wait, so went with that as I am a bit inpatient. I initially asked for 10% off basic (as dealers usually quote discounts based on basic not retail price). I was not part exchanging which means a much better platform for negotiating. Salesman referred to Sales Manager (usual ploy) - came back "no way", not on an Urban - limited number/£2450 free extras/had one available/could sell them all day long. Perhaps I should have walked away and see what they would have done.

Anyway, would like to hear from fellow Urban (not SE) owners to compare discounts.

I think you may have an uphill struggle!

I had to shop around to get a good deal on my 140 Elegance, none of my local dealers would knock a penny off the RRP.

I guess its a case of how strong the market is in any given location, the more prospective purchasers there are then why should the dealer take a knock back just to secure a sale.

You position is further weakened due to the fact that they are only making 750 of these in total, my best suggestion is to try a dealer who trades in a more financially depressed area within the UK where take up is likely to be less.

Thanks, but think you may has misread my post. I have already purchased the Urban 2 weeks ago, but just wanted to satisfy myself that I got the best deal I could. I have done some work at a large car dealership, and I know their per unit margins are low (less than 10%). They make most of their profit on the monthly/quarterly sales targets, so best time to buy is at the end of a quarter (March/June etc) and with a car they already have in stock, that they have been invoiced from the manufacturer for.

Hiya

I am waiting for my new Urban to be delivered in around two weeks. I couldnt get any discount off the price but managed an additional £100 on my trade in focus and negotiated free mats!!!

mmmm big deal!

Sounds about right to me. Never known of any "sizeable" discount on a new/limited edition before. I did manage to get a 10% discount off the basis price for a VW California (no p/ex). That was a factory order with a 4 month wait, so I appreciate that proper discounts are available, but not on such a rare beast as the Urban, when the dealers know they can probably sell every one. Keep the comments coming please.

First post so be kind!

I managed to get £1k discount (and some mats!) from my local dealer in Leeds on Fri. After a bit of too & fro they matched the best loan deal i could get, so that i got the free servicing. However, whilst the salesman was away speaking to the manager i was browsing on my phone and found an advert from lookers in Stockport, with £1k off an urban. DM keiths matched it. For info i was px-ing another vehicle, but the price was already fair before i found the Lookers deal. My 1.2 is on the boat and should be ready in 2 weeks.

Ps thanks to all on this forum. I have learned a lot in a week.

Just seen the Lookers advert with £1000 off - perhaps I should have tried harder (too impatient I'm afraid). Still £400 off and a weeks delivery not too bad. Was also fortunate to not pay the VAT & VED, as it was purchased as a "disabled" adapted (VAT exempt) vehicle.