Superb Estate Eleg Greenline II - initial impressions

Just been to b&q as I needed a length of 2"x2". Bought a 2.4m length and it easily fit through the ski hatch into the car! Couldn't do that with my BMW!,,

That's impressive!

I was pretty impressed that I managed to fit a single 3' mattress in my A4 saloon, with packaging, but the ski hatch does sounds like one of those things which could save you a bit in delivery of bits and pieces over the years.

I'm still undecided, but it's down to the Superb in hatch form (ungainly looking IMO, but £200 pa saving for company lease), or a Prius. I'm fine in the Prius, and I'm using the car on my own 90% of the time for 30-minute commutes. It lacks a luxury feel, but actually goes better than the Greenline even if it screams for mercy up hills.

Wife is no help, as if it hasn't got a premium badge then she's not interested!

I didn't find the 1.6 in the Superb to be a very flexible engine. I got back in my 2.0TDI A4 and was amazed by the relative smoothness. However some cars need to be "learned" I suppose, definitely didn't have enough time in the Superb to do that. I did find that I was uncomfortable changing up when the MFD advised me to (on the flat), as there was excessive vibration. I guess there is no pendulum jiggery-pokery going on in the engine to lessen the vibrations at low revs. The Hyundai 1.7 is a more flexible, smoother engine, but I'm already hearing about various new car quality issues with the i40, so that's a no-no.

Must choose soon, car is up at the end of September.

:think:

Amazing figure!

To achieve a good range depends also on how brave you can be meanwhile autonomy is close to zero.. and I'm not brave at all :rofl:

Do you remember how many miles you covered until the refill icon raised in your board?

At about 95-100 miles the "refill" sign flashes. I continue to drive until the MFD range states "0 miles", at which point I know I have an easy 50 mile miles range. beyond 50 miles is a case of extreme hypermiling. I think I covered about 60 miles beyond zero miles when I achieved 933 miles on a tankful.

At about 95-100 miles the "refill" sign flashes. I continue to drive until the MFD range states "0 miles", at which point I know I have an easy 50 mile miles range. beyond 50 miles is a case of extreme hypermiling. I think I covered about 60 miles beyond zero miles when I achieved 933 miles on a tankful.

I never dared to drive too much when refill sign pops up. I can refill about 50 litres in that moment in the tank.

How much can you refill when you cover 50 miles beyond zero mark? AFAIK, tank capacity is 60 litres but in most of the models you usually can fill more volume

• 2 weeks later...

I have my first annoying squeek! Its the accelerator pedal - everytime I lift my foot off (when changing gear for instance) I get annoying squeek, like I'm stepping on a mouse! Only got 600-odd mile on the clock! After 3 years of BMW ownership, I never heard so much as a rattle.

The cabin interior is reasonably well sealed to outside noise. I'm quite glad as the engine on the greenline sounds very loud to me. Perhaps this will mellow out over time, but it reminds me a little of a transit van kind of sound. I guess I hoped it would be a bit more refined.

Yes I thought that about the engine noise. Only under hard acceleration, though I felt that was exactly what the Greenline needed to get out of some si****ions.

I wish I had gone for a Superb, but sadly money has the last word and I'll be in a Prius come October....

Edited by Gwynt Cryf