Fault Code Reader/VAG Com

Having owned VAG cars for years, I would really hold out and buy VCDS with a genuine lead from Ross-Tech.

You can do so much more with the genuine software. I.e. recode the ecu to activate/deactivate functions, do log runs and see live graphs.

It is worth having if you plan on having VAG cars for a while. I've had mine since 2004, back when it was Vag-com before the apt name change.

It depends on what you need for too I guess. If you only want to check for any DTCs, then the handheld scanner will be fine.

I have used mine to change stereo coding, locking coding and even auto transmission coding on my father's S8 plus loads for other people when out on meets etc.

Dan

Having owned VAG cars for years, I would really hold out and buy VCDS with a genuine lead from Ross-Tech.

You can do so much more with the genuine software. I.e. recode the ecu to activate/deactivate functions, do log runs and see live graphs.

It is worth having if you plan on having VAG cars for a while. I've had mine since 2004, back when it was Vag-com before the apt name change.

It depends on what you need for too I guess. If you only want to check for any DTCs, then the handheld scanner will be fine.

I have used mine to change stereo coding, locking coding and even auto transmission coding on my father's S8 plus loads for other people when out on meets etc.

Dan

Cheers. I mainly want it just to check for fault codes, etc and not to be too indepth and start changing codes.

Thanks for the helpful advice. :thumbup:

You can get wifi obd2 tools that work with iOS but a generic VCDS cable and the lite version of VCDS will do what you want and more as well as being a lot cheaper, you do need a laptop ideally though.

You can get wifi obd2 tools that work with iOS but a generic VCDS cable and the lite version of VCDS will do what you want and more as well as being a lot cheaper, you do need a laptop ideally though.

Do you know roughly how much that would be??

I know a few people who have used this lead and have had a lot of success with it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG-GROUP-USB-OBD2-II-KKL-ECU-DIAGNOSTIC-CABLE-LEAD-Compatible-VCDS-LITE-or-409-/330753371108?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4d026febe4#ht_2596wt_1037

Good price too if you only want basic functions.

Dan

For the iPhone, look for an app called BlueDriver. The basic app is free and you'll need to order a dongle from the states...takes a couple of days and costs about £35. You can then unlock the app for full functionality for £34.99. Works even better on an iPad!! (bigger screen - 0-60 and standing quarter time functions too)

I have one (evaluating it) and it's pretty good. Probably no better than the Android programmes that cost a quarter of the price, but that's the price we pay for having a better phone/gadget! ;-)

See this link for it in use http://www.volvovehiclesclub.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725&p=5026 and there are clips on eBay too.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Branded Kiwi or innov8 (sp?)interfaces aren't cheap (I got one from Germany via eBay from memory using an eBay voucher for 30% off which eased the pain). Personally I'd go with VCDS lite (free) and a generic lead (£5-10) and use a laptop if you have one.

That said if the unit above reads vag specific fault codes it could be a viable alternative.