Diesel 4x4 gears

Having still not test driven an Octavia yet, just wondered if anyone has driven both the 1.9 TDi Octavia with 5 gears and the new Diesel 4x4 version with 6 gears. How does the gearing compare? Anyone know why the different gearbox, is it to do with the Haldex?

Tim

nowt to do with haldex i suspect, i have haldex and O2J based 5 speed box.

but i saw an octavia parked side the dealer today that looked to be approx. 4ft off the ground, assumed it was the new 4x4. might have to take a look

I own an Octavia 4x4 Estate 1.9 TDI with the 6 gears (MY2002) and I believe they designed the gearbox with 6 gears to get a very short first gear which can help move the car, togheter with the Haldex traction, in difficult offroad situation.

Generally speaking the 6 gears are getting more and more common with the modern common-rail diesel engines because of the high torque values these engines have in a very limited range of engine revolution.