Bulb warning light with HID

Hi all

I've recently had HID's fitted as the standard bulbs were rubbish, the warning light came on when I switched the lights off but lately when I switch them on the warning light comes on & beeps then off & on etc for about 5mins. Do I need to fit something to stop it as it drives me mad & have a read somewhere about the voltage not being the best?

Also the rear passenger drivers door I think is holding water & leaking onto the carpet, Is there a bung or something to release it as there are bungs all over for water on a superb haha

Thanks Marc

Hi all

I've recently had HID's fitted as the standard bulbs were rubbish, the warning light came on when I switched the lights off but lately when I switch them on the warning light comes on & beeps then off & on etc for about 5mins. Do I need to fit something to stop it as it drives me mad & have a read somewhere about the voltage not being the best?

Also the rear passenger drivers door I think is holding water & leaking onto the carpet, Is there a bung or something to release it as there are bungs all over for water on a superb haha

Thanks Marc

On the door front; basically they should drain out of the bottom of the door, but if the seal has perished between the door skin and the carrier panel for the window motors etc then the water runs down the inside of the panel and through the seals, then down between the door card and the door, onto the carpets. I just had to repair my driver's door.

Your options are new carriers or reseal (most people reseal, unless a dealer sees you coming!!!)

Passat leaks / repairs.

VW do a kit of sealant and cleaner, or you can use roof repair / some other type of sealant. I used Shell Thixophalte. There is discussion on the merit of various sealants here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/173531-best-sealant-for-water-ingress-on-doors/

Regarding HID's: You need a relay and cable to draw power directly from the battery. The ground connection in the headlamp itself is too weak, only 1 carats. You will also need VAG to disable the warning light.

- Find someone with VAG COM that can access your cars computer. Then code:

[17 - Instrument] ->

[07 - Kodning] ->

??xxx: Extra Equipment

+08 = Control lamp for faulty bulbs

After this no more BEEP if a bulb is not working. Of course this also means, you have to check for faulty headlights more often manually. :-)

Either disable warning using VCDS (though not sure if it works with Mk1), or change connection of HIDs so that they do not use relays.

Does your HID install use relays and a separate battery feed? If yes, connect the HID ballasts directly to low beam, skip relays.

Mk1 Superb has quite thick wiring and will take 35W-85W HIDs quite happily directly on the low beam connections.

High beam is another story, it feeds straight off low beam except for flashing. But high beam is not monitored so you can use relays there.

If you somehow managed to find the one kit that causes warning even though it does not use relays, VCDS is the only option, though I am not sure the procedure works on Mk1.

Edited by dieselV6

I'm not sure how they got wired up as the garage i use done it for me, I will go & see them or a auto electrician when I get back home as I'm working away @ present. The garage also forgot to re-fit the covers on the back of the lights do there both now full of condinsation! How will I get the inside of the headlights dry as the look rubbish & I'm sure there blocking out light.

I'm not that clued up on skoda terms like CANBUS etc so don't know what your meaning :)

Thanks for the replies though.

If the garage did not refit back covers, you are dealing with clueless cowboys.

You can dry out the lights, best to just leave the car in sunlight with the rear covers off the lights. But the lights will corrode quckly and deteriorate if the covers are not put back on.

VCDS is a diagnostics cable that you can change a lot of settings with. There is a procedure that works on some cars to disable lights warning, but it is mostly newer cars.

But no covers is much more serious problem. Normally HID kit requires drilling 20mm+ hole in each cover and putting rubber grommet in each. If they did not do it, they have no clue.