Ap's Fabia vRS

apmaman

Car

2011 Skoda Fabia vrs. Rallye Green!

Engine

1.4TSi. TMC Tuning box, Full Carbon ITG air intake, Varex Exhaust (215bhp)

Transmission

Standard 7 Speed DSG

Suspension

Standard .

Brakes

Standard.

Wheels & Tyres

Team Dynamic Pro Race in matt Black with Maxsport RB5's for track. Dunlop Sport Max's for every day

Styling

Few stickers here and there. Nothing Ott

Interior

LED lights all around

Performance

13.9 Personal Best 1/4 mile. Dont know the 0-60 but its about 6 seconds.

This is my blog / project / moan thread about my 2011 Fabia vRS.

July 2011 I went to go look at a Ford Capri 2.8i, ended up buying the vRS instead. I was orignally planning on getting an all black vRS with the polished wheels, but I'd still be waiting till Feburary 2012 for it.

The Dealers were due in a new Demo car, Rallye green with bluetooth, climate control, red interior and a few other lovely bits.

Anyway!

Here she is on the day of delivery, all nice and new..

P1010752copy.jpg

I quickly set about changing over the indicators to silvertec bulbs and changing the interior bulbs to LED's and a green festoon to match the exterior

P1010764.jpg

P1010769.jpg

Skoda Fabia OEM mudflaps were fitted about a week later. The cars arse gets dirty as it is, this "helps" a bit haha. Sets the car off nicely I think.

Photo188.jpg

Cheeky private plate added

2011-08-31125716.jpg

Winter Mode

2011-10-13181835.jpg

Philips 4300k bulbs (Driver) vs Osram Hyper blue 6000k (Passanger) for a quick comparison

2011-11-18182957-1.jpg

Varex Prep installation.

4x 2.5inch Stainless Steel gaskets

1x 2.5inch Stainless Steel Pipe 500mm long

2x Exhaust Hangers, Stainless Steel

1x 3inch twin tip Varex Exhaust 2.5inch inlet

1x Control box & wiring

1x Fabia vRS

Firstly remove the spare wheel & accessories from the boot of the car and remove one of the plastic grommets with a flat head screw driver or other tool. This comes off fairly easily. Once thats off feed the waterproof connector through the hole, using your fingers to guide it to the gap slightly forward to allow it to fall to the floor.

You can then bring some more wire back up so the connector isn't dragging on the ground and replace the grommet. This should keep it wire in place. It can be sealed with Duct Tape, or sealant as well if you're after a more permanent solution.

2012-02-09142504.jpg

2012-02-09142540.jpg

Next collapse the rear passenger seat to allow you to feed the wiring through the gap between seats. Once the wiring is through riase the seat again and squeeze the wiring between the gaps in the cushion. You can also lift up the seat cushion and feed the the wiring in there as well.

Once it has been fed through the rear seats its time to move onto the centre console.

The plastics are fairly flexable so using your fingers you can bend the plastics and slide the wiring in behind them keeping them out of sight. Continue up to the gear selector.

2012-02-09142909.jpg

I have a small section of wire which remains exposed, but shall be getting pinned into the carpet with some black tacs to avoid it being pulled on occidentally.

2012-02-09142913.jpg

Continue this right up to the drivers foot rest. The varex control box can then be hidden under the dash behind the fuse box. You can feel around above where the pedals are there are a lot of empty spaces and the control box will fit into one if you feel around enough.

2012-02-09143000.jpg

2012-02-09143102.jpg

Double back along the foot rest and centre console plastics with the wire which has the 12v plug on it keeping the wires hidden until you have something like this.

2012-02-09142949.jpg

Now... to fit the Varex.

I chose to have a full stainless kit installed from the middle silencer back to allow the varex to fit. The standard exhaust has a downwards bend just before it gets to the back box which is very awkward to describe and makes for rear can fitting to be a bit of a PITA.

Varex Shut:

The car sounds stock, if a tiny bit quieter. Driving at 60 & 70 the car sounds like it normally does. Fairly quiet and so on. I didn't notice any additional power loss when gaining speed from 60 to over take and it felt just like the standard car does. Normal 30mph driving you'd be very hard pressed to notice that anything has been done to the car. Most of the noise comes from the engine making it easy to hear the blow off valves and induction roar.

Varex Open:

The car has a much deeper throaty noise to it. It is "sporty" in sound but not over the top which is what I was wanting.

At 60/70mph there is an increase in cabin noise yes, but its eliminated with a simple press of a button.

Under acceleration it sounds very nice in the cabin, what it should of sounded like from the factory. Loud, but not in your face.

30mph the car is a bit louder in the cabin. It's noticeable if you concentrate and listen for it however it is ease to live with.

Prostate surgery!

2012-02-29135731.jpg

Woopa!

2012-04-16170407-1.jpg

Alloys

Team Dynamic Pro Race 2. 5x100 15 inch. Weight Approx 5.5kg ( Skoda center caps dont fit)

I choose these wheels because they met my weight requirements of 6kg or less and they were 15 inch. I wasn't all that fussed on the looks as these would only be for use on the track but I might get rid of my white steelies and swap the winter tyres and semi slicks during there off seasons.

They are a 5 spoke design with a Matt Black finish.

Tyres:

I spent a long time researching tyres. I wanted some that would be as cost efficient as possible which basically threw out all the "major" brands ala Toyo R888 which were £100+ per tyre.

I found a company called Maxsport who do remould competition rally tyres which are EU approved for road use when I was looking to get winter tyres, so I looked them up again and they do a few ranges of slick tyres, the RB4 and RB5. They are highly praised from subaru track day users along with time attack who are on a budget.

For the vrs I choose to have 205/55/15 tyres which are as close to the original rolling size as possible. 2% or so out.

Each of these tyres come in a few ranges of standard sizes, as well as three choices of compound. Soft, Medium, Hard. Due to a lack of stock I opted for the Mediums after ordering the Softs. I'd of been waiting for them now as I type this!

These were picked up from JJC Race & Rally for shy of £80 a tyre.

A word of warning, these tyres are very noisy on normal roads. It's off set with the amount of grip you have though, even at normal road speeds you have supreme grip.

Very nice mate, but surely you can do a better job of the control wiring?

Id go underneath the carpet, and tap into the wiring to the charge point so it doesn't come put awkwardly from the console and back into the input

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i have changed it so it fits under the plastic trim beside the footwells. cant see it at all now.

i was just in a hurry to get it all working haha!