1.2 12v Fabia 2- engine idle 'flutter'

Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice on this one please?

I have a 07 Fabia 2 with the 1.2 12v 70 engine, a sweet little otherwise perfect motor.

Recently, I have noticed that occaisonally at tickover, the revs will drop from the usual 800-850 to 500, then back up and down and up and dows etc.

The car never actually stalls but it drops so low it vibrates and then pulls itself back up.

It doesnt seem to to it when its cold and using the AC does make it worse sometimes but, not always.

I've just had the car MOT'd and serviced privately with no issues at all and no code reader errors but, it is still doing it- more of an annoyance really.

I have read various posts on here and issues like coolant temp sensors, clean out the throttle body, exhaust management lights and faulty coil packs are mentioned.

I'd prefer not to spend a fortune hunting for something but equally, would really appreciate any advise anyone can give me- even if this is an order or suggestions to work through as I'm determined to resolve it.

Many thanks for reading and if you need further info- please let me know.

Cheers.

Hi, yep all done today on service. Had new plugs, fuel, oil and air filter etc.

It drives perfect and just has this 'flutter' occasionally but, it is really annoying and can be dnagerous if you try to pull out just when the revs have dropped to the 500 mark.

Hi,

This just happened to me today. Was driving home and noticed it when I stopped for red light, after about 20 min. driving. Didn´t notice it when I was driving.

It was quite hot today, so not a cold weather issue.AC was not on. I parked the car, turned the engine off for approx. 10 min and started it again. After this no problems..

Bgds Dan

• 4 months later...

Next time it does it, stick your foot (if safe to do so) under the accellorator pedal and try and pull the pedal towards you. It shouldnt move but you should give it enough pressure to correct the sensor in there that controls the throttle (so the dealer says). I did it on mine before they changed it and the second I did it, it stopped fluttering imediately. New pedal assembly later, never had the problem since.

I dont have the irratic idling anymore, the new acellorator pedal assembly resolved the problem.

When I did have the problem, it was intermittent and not dependant on any conditions (hot, cold, loads etc), as you'd expect really when all along it was the 'fly by wire' sensor/s in the pedal assembly.

Hope this helps.