'84 Skoda Estelle Big engined RWD project

Gaze

Right where do I start!.. My dad found this sitting in a old chaps garden under a canopy, it had been there for 12 years until my dad had got it, before this it was a driving instructors car Even still has dual controls! ) ;D and has only been owned by this old chaps father and himself since new,

For those of you that dont know its a Skoda Estelle, the rapids brother.. and is very rare in the uk

It has done 60,000ish miles if I remember correctly, and has had a lot of new parts before sadly the father died and left it to his son who I have now got it from,

So I towed it home and had a fiddle.. the car started near enough straight away and drove, the brakes were a bit dodgy so didnt go far,

photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

This is 2 evenings progress..

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Also the engine and gearbox is now out and for sale, I have a video of it running from last night just before we took it out,

This will be getting a big engine swap, slammed, and a full respray and any other bits I decide I want to do along the way, also a front headlight conversion but its all a secret for now ;)

This will be fun.

• Like 3

Great stuff....there are a few non Skoda engined cars knocking about (k-series, Fiat Twink to name a couple). You should bear in mind that the engine is hanging out the back and the original Skoda engine is one of the lightest 4 cylinder engines you will come across.....and that you have a swing axle model that will oversteer quite alarmingly on a standard engine if you abuse it too much! Have you thought about making it mid engined?

Cheers guys, yes its very solid for what it is, a few patchs will be needed but nothing hugely to worry about..

Im looking at getting a toyota mr2 enigne, either a NA or turbo whichever comes up first, That means chopping away most or the rear seat area, and i shall be using the complete rear running gear from the MR2 and will be mounted mid engined.. :)

another evenings progress.. engine out..

photo-7.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Still think a 1.8t engine would be better, there's one in the for sale section tho you would have to find a gearbox which seem plentiful. Tho there also has been talk about the newer tsi engines being sold for £500 and they can make big power.

Either way its your choice m8 and if you know the mr2 better etc it might be best for you

Sent from my Galaxy S2 not a Crapple!

That sounds like a good solution...there is a guy called Jay Ivey who has a mid engined MB1000 fitted with an MGF set up and its apparently quite rapid. I prefer more traditional methods of making mine go faster but it has probably cost me a whole lot more money and it probably still isn't as fast as your will be (but it is legal for production class motosport).

Raf - the 1.8T is an iron blocked lump and AFAIK hasn't been midmounted....hanging it out the back would make the weight balance even more rear biased than a standard car.

Edited by hawkeracing

I did think of a 1.8T, also a scooby lump on a beetle/bus gearbox, but in the end me and my mate decided on a mr2 engine, he knows a lot about them, and im winning a complete 2ltr car on ebay at the moment for a couple of hundred quid, i shall pinch all of the rear running gear and transfer,and weight in the rest, so in theory ill be getting it all for free nearly :)

Haha im glad i only did my test 6ish years ago now!

1.8T woulod be a more hassle option what with it being FWD etc to start with and unless i got a k04 setup i wouldnt see much more than 230bhp out of the standard turbo

With the mr2 everythings already facing the right way etc, ill literally chop the setup from the mr2 and make it fit the Estelle, and with a little tinkeriing it should make 270-290 bhp :happy:

Wee bit more done today, rear window out, inside stripped of everythin im not using..and few other bits

Hunt for a engine is now on :)

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just havent got the time anymore what with trying to start a new business, and i havent got the storage space to have it sitting there waiting to be done thats the main reason, And the money id sink in to it id never get back thats another good reason

• 2 weeks later...

Could you let me know how much you want for the engine and it was running you say, did you drive it..

Its a pity the project cant be completed the mr2 route would be a lot of fun..

My mid engined skoda mb may be for sale soon as I want to start a new project maybe a estelle 4x4 using a complete octavia as the donor car with a remapped 1.8t maybe 230 bhp..

• 1 month later...