Transmech SMF Conversion Kit?

drcarlos

Clutch slip in my VRS is getting worse and it's nearly time to bite the bullet and replace the clutch. As the car has done 96k it's probably sensible to replace the flywheel too. I was just going to get the Valeo kit from ECP but checking back now a kit by Transmech has popped up and with the 15% code (the current 30% and 25% codes don't include clutches) it comes in at £285 all in (when it comes back in stock) which seems like a steal. Is it too good to be true, should I not bother and just get the Valeo kit? Does anyone have one of these kits?

My Fabia, I was told is standard but it does get down the road pretty well so it does leave me wondering if it has been remapped. Will this kit cope with a remapped car?

Carl.

Hi Carl, a standard application clutch kit and fly will not take the extra heat and torque generated with the Turbo Diesel remap. I'm sure a few Briskodians may argue this but the truth is even though it will last for a period of time the cost of labour to replace such a kit more frequently than a higher quality part represents false economy.

What power are you running I could then give you some more sensible options.

We are competitive with ECP prices so let me know what you are thinking about.

Doesn't sound cheap and cheerful then, more like cheap and nasty.

I have no idea what power the car runs as I bought what I thought and was told was a standard vRS last year, but it certainly feels like it has more than 130bhp, the butt dyno feeling more somewhere between my old 170bhp Civic VTi and 212bhp Accord-R, the 2nd and 3rd gear pickup can only be described as brutal. However I may be wrong as this is the only VRS I have ever driven or been in for that matter, but it feels like it isn't much slower than the Accord was.

I am nearly 40 though, with 3 kids and hobby that gives me track and race time I am not really into the tuning thing anymore, I just wanted a car that was more fun than a shoebox but cheap to run so whatever it is now it won't be going any higher. If it is tuned it can't be that much as it still has it's standard intercooler, not sure how to check the Turbo for a PD150 though.

One other thing is that the original clutch has lasted 96k so it can't be that powerful I guess.

Carl.

Have you thought about taking one of our Dual Friction kits, this offers the drivability of a organic plate with the ability to take the power of a 6 paddle. This kit is just £550 delivered and we will through in the slave cylinder. Alternatively you could take a stage 1 kit with SMF this is £399 and this includes delivery and the slave as well... much more driveable but questionable when the power is unknown.

I know the costs are more but its always better to be safe than sorry with the clutch.

Have you thought about taking one of our Dual Friction kits, this offers the drivability of a organic plate with the ability to take the power of a 6 paddle. This kit is just £550 delivered and we will through in the slave cylinder. Alternatively you could take a stage 1 kit with SMF this is £399 and this includes delivery and the slave as well... much more driveable but questionable when the power is unknown.

I know the costs are more but its always better to be safe than sorry with the clutch.

Actually to be fair the cost of the stage 1 is competitive with the Valeo kit + Slave from ECP and I think it should be the one to go for (I won't have more than about 180bhp, If I go on the assumption that it is mapped), i'll have a chat with my tuna (sic) and see when he can fit me in and check the pot for pennies (got an MOT and service to pay for on the family bus this month too, so it may be delayed until November).

Thanks,

Carl.

• Like 1