Strange sound from gearbox? ... periodic

Meier

Ok - Im getting more and more nervous :-] ..

My octy 1.6 akl - got an brand new engine half a year ago, also the gearbox already have been replaced because of the "rivet" failure ...

Ok - one day driving - suddenly a very loud "clacking" sound came from under the car, the pitch of the noise would follow the speed of the car ....

- but eventually it somehow dissaperd when i was trying all gears driving back an forth ...

Now only a very very "silent" clicking was to be heard especially when motorbraking ... I asked around and got the advise just to drive on ....

So i did for around half a year ...

Then oneday , I took a right turn , and bang again very very loud clack,clack,clack noise...didnt dare to drive any further ... parked car - and called skoda, while i tried all gears as to verify if sound was present ...it was - BUT not in reverse ...and after shifting in and out of reverse - sound disappeared again ???

Ok drove on a couple of months, and the other day, I was strating of, buckeling up looking out the window, ect ect :-) and my foot slipped the clutch while engaging gear - and i could feel something went wrong .. and true ...the clacking sound came again... so after last times experience - I tried putting it in reverse ..going back and....yes sound went away .... sortof ...but definately not as loud, and almost only when motor braking...

So today sound is still there, and it is possible to hear even when not motorbraking (not in gear) but louder when in gear and motorbraking, it seems it goes away while accelerating ( force on gears ect) .....

Seriously - the skoda tech has no idea - other than a new box .... I hope some Gearbox wiz ....could give me a clue .....I would be more than happy - I live in denmark with the insane car tax ...so have to keep this baby running for at least 2-3 years more :)

Mine Vrs had a problem the a few weeks back with the box, but the problem went away until Saturday after I had spent £10 on a hand wash the car went bang twice and started to make a horrible clicking sound but only when you took your foot of the power and used the engine to slow down. Its now sat on the drive awaiting delivery of a gearbox which will be fitted on Thursday

Hi Scotty - Well did you figure out what caused the sound ?? - I have been testing and listening very carefully to mine the last week ... and it seems the sound is starting to be heard even when clutch is activated, or car is neutral ... normally it would go away when engaging the clutch....

However it is still louder when engine braking - and goes away when accelerating ( touching the power ) .... ???

I haven't heard of any TDIs having rivet issues with their gearboxes. Mine is on 202k, all I have done is change the fluid at about 100k. Thinking about it, I should probably consider changing it again....

• Like 1

Ahh - might consider that TDI -

Its just so ridiculos - gearbox i my car has only 70k on it ...engine died at 200k - got new engine ....now new box.... I actually cant believe VW quality is so bad... I mean c'mon ...

well maby I should look for a toyota next time :)

I actually cant believe VW quality is so bad... I mean c'mon ...

well maby I should look for a toyota next time :)

My mates Toyota is for ever requiring assistance (it seems to eat batteries), and Nissans built in Sundersland (ie. Note) seem to be equally crappy.