What to look for with a Roomster

Jonnobris

Ok so went to look at the following today

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=602571727

Very nice car and have even managed to persuade my wife that the Roomster is the way to go despite in her words 'looking a little bit like a hearse!'

My question is this - Is a 1 year old SE at £10.5k worth the extra over, say the following

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=602679223

£3k is quite a difference. What's peoples thoughts? Anyone had experience of both 1.9PD and 1.6CR? I knowabout DPF issues but my wondering is if the newer one is worth the extra?? :think:

For me I'd take the older 1.9tdi. This is one of the PD105 engines, the same as in my Roomster Scout and are pretty bullet proof. 35k miles is not really a lot at all.

The PD130 in my fabia is nearing 153k miles in a high state of tune and is rock solid.

This model has the fog lights and has already suffered the sharp depreciation that the Roomster seems to. Nice interior, very close to that of my Scout. I'd question the 'electric sunroof' though. The picture appears to show a 'panoramic sunroof' which is in no way electric, it doesn't open at all. Still great though.

Judging by the location of the dealers, you're local (ish) to me ;)

Let me know if you need any advice or a VCDS scan :thumbup:

TBH- last year I took my little geriatric Furby to a stealer for some work. Loan car was a Roomster, petrol model, possibly 1.4. Wasn't impressed with any of it's performance etc. Clarkson said likewise on the test he did on the 1.4tdi he tested . I'd agree- on an old Furby body, 75 bhp is more than enough for a sedate(and can any Furby 1 be called sedate).Turbo kicks in and my Biker SIL is Impressed). I'd say ,the Roomster body has to much air constriction problems to compare)

Fuel wise - not bad. But on a M/way- only thing that makes me want something bigger is a wish to to get something that gets speed with low revs. But then , it's a case of DMF,,and after a few years ,DMF= BIG profits for Stealer.

Edited by VWD

• 1 month later...

Well deed is done, ordered a 2011 Roomster 1.6tdi SE today. I hear all you are saying re the DPF but I do use the motorway at lease once a week for a good blast. The car is so much smoother than my current 1.4tdi Fabia. Got to await my plate transfer and they are fitting roof rails as well.

Thanks for all your advice.

J

Superb. Enjoy the car :thumbup:

Think its a Roomy, not a Superb.

Sorry, :giggle:

It's just me being a Superb owner, going to look at a Roomy in the morning!

Got a message from the dealer yesterday, good news - Roof bars have been fitted and look 'excellent' bad news - have lost the V5 so having to apply for a new one. The wait goes on. Anyone else had the latter happen to them??

• 3 weeks later...

Picked it up yesterday. So far very pleased with it:

Good Points:

Space

Panoramic Sunroof

Smooth Engine (compaired to my previous 1.4 PD Tdi)

Smooth ride

Good stereo

Rear elec windows

Not so good points:

Drop of about 10MPG over my Fabia 1.4 tdi (To be expected!)

Lack of real temp gauge (No Maxi dot for me)

Thats about it

Will update after I've had it a while

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

I would say it depends what you're using it for. I decided on the Roomster over the Altea purely because:

1) Prefer Skoda to Seat better build in my opinion.

2) Versatility of Roomster (removable seats etc) was greater than Seat.

3) For our 3 year old, she loves the lower window in the back and the sunroof (Seat rear window sills are quite high)

4) Odd looks, I know that they're not everybody's cup of tea, but I quite like them.

I was very tempted by the Seat Altea but I don't regret going for the Roomster.

i've got a Roomster, so not knocking it, but there is no lumbar support in the front seats. After a couple of hundred miles - lower back ache. Aside from that, the 2 clicks to open all doors drove me mad for the first month or 2. The old car was 1 click. Enjoy your car, what BHP did you go for?

Yeah I know what you mean about the remote locking, My old one was one click. Not had too much issue with the seats. My old Fabia had the Sports seats and where a lot more supportive. rE

I've got the 90bhp version. It seems quick enough so I imagine the 105bhp is quite quick off the mark!

Cheers

The seat thing is a strange, my wife is 5'11" and uses a back bolster support in the car for long runs as she finds the car uncomfortable after about 45 minutes. I'm 6'5" and a bit with a damaged back and neck, I can drive until the fuel runs out or my bladder causes my eyes to water, whichever's the sooner, with no ill effect.

ahhh nuts about to sign on the dotted line today came home ot do homework and with what im spending on this thing i have i can afford the one ive been looking at an 08 1.9tdi

at a reasonable price with 53000 on the clock

• Like 1

i've got a Roomster, so not knocking it, but there is no lumbar support in the front seats. After a couple of hundred miles - lower back ache. Aside from that, the 2 clicks to open all doors drove me mad for the first month or 2. The old car was 1 click. Enjoy your car, what BHP did you go for?

I click opening on the remote can be done by anyone using VCDS (there is a members list on this site)......or by the dealers

As for lower back support fit a CG-Lock this will hold you in place and stop you "slouching" in the seat.....had mine for over 5yrs now very good.......even stunt men use them!!!!!

• Like 1