Tow Bar Question

polo2002

Has anyone fitted or had fitted a westfalia detatchable towbar to a mk2 Fabia? The fitting instructions say that you need to buy a blanking plate and associated parts from Skoda to cover the bumper hole, does anyone know if this is a painted part or black and has anyone got any pictures?

I don't really want a fixed bar but the bumper cut is smaller but the downside is the towball's always sticking out, and I don't want to find it interferes with the parking sensors, where as the detatchable one's only there when your using it. Any info is welcome, Thanks.

Has anyone fitted or had fitted a westfalia detatchable towbar to a mk2 Fabia? The fitting instructions say that you need to buy a blanking plate and associated parts from Skoda to cover the bumper hole, does anyone know if this is a painted part or black and has anyone got any pictures?

I don't really want a fixed bar but the bumper cut is smaller but the downside is the towball's always sticking out, and I don't want to find it interferes with the parking sensors, where as the detatchable one's only there when your using it. Any info is welcome, Thanks.

Yes I have. You have to buy the blanking plate form the Skoda dealer (about a tenner). It does not come with the towbar and its grey plastic, but an aerosol of plastic primer and a aerosol of top coat soon gets it sorted.

However the blanking plate retaining inner frame is only attached by four self adhesive sticky pads and soon became detached so finally got it to stay put by using 1 mm thick number plate stickers cut into strips to stick the whole circumference of the frame to the inside of bumper.

Also if you are fitting it yourself you will have to cut out he hole in the bumper, its marked out on he inside but a special tool is need to get a good finish. I had mine fitted. Will try and get some pics posted tomorrow.

Pete

• Like 1

We (at the dealer) have the correct punch to cut out the hole neatly.

Also the frame for the cover should be attatched with the correct 3M adhesion promoter, no way you will budge that after.

Trouble is my dealer at Mansfield wanted to fit a Witter bar and they use an outside mobile fitter so I used an independant company in Derby called Mobile Solutions which were cheaper than the dealer, and apart from the defective sticky pads, did a fine job.

Can't understand why dealers don't offer the OE Westfalia bar which in no more expensive than the other makes and is much neater.

Pete

Edited by Pete in Notts

The dealer I work at only offers genuine bars now. After hassles with sublet fitters we do them all in workshop now so fitted to Skoda standards and covered my warranty etc. Plus full intergration and no crappy can bypass relays etc. full control units with diagnostics etc.

Good photos Pete, looks a very neat job. Ive had these detatchable bars on a Passat and Golf and it looks as neat on the Fabia, so I'm going to take that route, If I can get silver to match as well as your red I'll be very happy. Once again thanks for your help.