Driver's door internal handle not working

Bagel

Right, I feel a bit daft. I had an annoying rattle inside the driver's door so stripped it down by removing the door card. I found the culprit. It was a loose screw behind the foam sheet that was holding the central locking in place. Anyway, I put it all back together in reverse order and now the internal handle won't open the door. I checked the hook was in place and it is but it feels like it's disconnected. It's all floppy. Now I have to open the window and use the outside handle to get out. It doesn't look cool! Have I dislodged the connecting rod or something? Thanks in advance. Bagel

First time I took mine off this happened to me. My electric window was broken so I had to climb out passenger side. The hook is only half of it, there's another bit that needs to be in place, I know I'm not being very specific but it's hard to describe. I'll see if I can find a pic for you!

Can't find pic. What your looking for is the is a place to attach the raised bit on the hook cable so that when you pull the handle it is a lot tighter. When I get out of bed ill see if my Haynes manual has a pic if you've not sorted it by then.

Brilliant fellas, thanks a lot, really appreciated! I think those pics will really help. Sure it's simple, just need some time to sort now. Funny but the rear door won't open from the outside and the front door won't open from the inside! The other thing is I still love the thing. Don't know what it is about the Mk1 vRS but it's got more 'character' (read 'quirky weirdness') than an Alfa and a Saab I fell in love with. It's more Brown Ale than Chianti; a proper working class hero. I reckon Bodie & Doyle would drive one in a remake. Cheers again for your help! Fingers crossed.

yup bet you havent clipped the collar piece into the card, without doing that, with the cable connected to the handle, it wont work, as there is nothing for the cable to be held to retract the cable in the sleeve.

• Like 1

Thanks Oet, saved me a small fortune. Thought it was a garage job. I'm a bit like Frank Spencer with these things. I'll have a go but ig doesn't always turn out that well!

Edited by Bagel

no probs dude, its one of those things that isn't 100% obvious, have had it pop out on me too after fitting the card and all the fittings back on! lesson learnt! never do up all the screws and put everything back on like the handle etc till you have checked the door opens from the inside!

glad you sorted it:>

• 9 years later...
4 hours ago, javiercarrillo said:

I just had the same problem happening to me, but I see the photos are not available anymore 😞

Does anybody here have photos I could use as a guide?

Thank you!

Have a look on YouTube, there is probably a video on there that shows what you need.