DSG what is the clutch set up

Hi my mate is looking at 1.9 or 2.0 tdi with DSG I thought I read on here it's the DMF but he's not convinced anyone put us right ?

Forgot to say although it has a DMF, on the 1.9tdi and 2.0tdi the twin clutch setup are actually wet clutches (submerged in oil) inside the gearbox, so the clutches do not actually interact with the DMF......it is fitted to smooth out torque spikes only.

Having said that, the DSG DMF's are just as likely (maybe more likely) to give trouble as the manual transmission counterparts. Listen carefully when the engine is cold and idling for any rattle when in P or N which stops when you shift into D or R.....first sign of DMF trouble on a DSG.

It's the best gearbox (automatic or manual) I have ever used.

The gear changes are unbelievably fast......you really notice this when you floor the throttle......still makes me smile.

A lot of people don't like automatics, so they would never consider a DSG. But the DSG cannot be classed as an automatic in the traditional sense......it is much better than a traditional Auto, and in my opinion (and alot of DSG owners) it's much better than a manual transmission........

......so to answer your question, I'm delighted with it and would drive nothing else for the rest of my life if I could!

Just to add.....the DSG works well on both the 2.0 TDI and 1.9 TDI engines, but I'd stick with the 2.0 TDI as the 1.9 TDI DSG is only 1 mpg better combined than the 2.0 TDI DSG, yet you are getting 35 bhp more on the 2.0 TDI.

Edited by booke23

It's the best gearbox (automatic or manual) I have ever used.

The gear changes are unbelievably fast......you really notice this when you floor the throttle......still makes me smile.

A lot of people don't like automatics, so they would never consider a DSG. But the DSG cannot be classed as an automatic in the traditional sense......it is much better than a traditional Auto, and in my opinion (and alot of DSG owners) it's much better than a manual transmission........

......so to answer your question, I'm delighted with it and would drive nothing else for the rest of my life if I could!

Just to add.....the DSG works well on both the 2.0 TDI and 1.9 TDI engines, but I'd stick with the 2.0 TDI as the 1.9 TDI DSG is only 1 mpg better combined than the 2.0 TDI DSG, yet you are getting 35 bhp more on the 2.0 TDI.

+1 here, I've only had a DSG for a few weeks ago and it's an excellent gearbox convinced me already that I'm unlikely to go back to a manual :)

• Like 1

Accurate replies. I've owned an 05 plate 1.9 dsg estate 120k miles, for two years. Had new dmf (inc bolts) fitted by supplier at purchase (diagnosed by a rattle upon idle notable behind nsf wheel) with no problems since. Touch wood / cross finger.

Definitely recommend.

The DMF on my 2006 2.0 DSG is rattling away nicely.......but only when the engine is cold......it's quiet when it's hot. 70k miles, so not brilliant longevity from the flywheel.

Been like that for the last 10,000 miles and it doesn't seem to be getting much worse. No other symptoms at the moment, so I'll leave it a bit longer before I replace it.