Front shocker problem - but not the normal one...

Hi Folks

I'm new here - I have a Felicia 1.9D estate on an R plate.

I've a problem with one of the front shockers, and thought I'd ask here to seek opinions on whether to prepare myself with a spare top mount before taking it all apart.

The leg binds sometimes where it comes through the top mount, so rather than rotating smoothly and following the shocker body / stub axle / wheel as the steering wheel is turned, the top of the damper rod binds in the bush at the top. The shocker body rotates all the same as one steers, of course, and since the damper rod (and also the top plate restraining the spring) are _not_ rotating, torsional tension builds up in the spring. When this overcomes the friction in the sticky top mount it suddenly lets go with a disconcerting 'bang' and normal service resumes for a while.

I suspect the steel cups I could see on the damper rod when I took things apart a little from the top, are meant to bear on rubber, and this stickiness means said rubber is b******d. But I thought I'd ask here first. Obviously I'd rather have the bits on hand when I take it apart, to put it all back together again in one go. But I'm so tight that if reclaiming the existing mount is a possibility, I'd like to know about it!

Oh, and I have a different way around the 're-starting a hot diesel' problem, but I guess that belongs in a new thread.

cheers

Mark

i would just replace both sides i bet there still the factory fit both mine creak but thats only since i put the 1.6 in it lol thats another job i got to do

On a popular internet auction site, a 'top mount kit' looks like a large rubber donut...is this all there is to it?

Any idea if one can jack the car high enough to drop the shocker off the top mount whilst not removing it from its bottom mount, in order to get the new rubber in there?