Help fitting wiring for amp

Hi all as the title suggests I'm after someone to give me pointers on how to install the wiring on mk2 octavia estate with a columbus stereo so I can add a sub and amp in my car. Or if there is anyone local to stoke on trent/Crewe who could help me for some beer tokens that would be appreciated!!

• 2 weeks later...

you need to check that the columbus stereo has pre outs for a start, have no idea if they do, but its a requirement to run amps/subs.

You can fit a line ou t to any head unit. I'm running sub and all speakers amplified the rns510 in my octavia II

Apologies for the hijack of the thread, but what are you running to do this? I've been looking to amplify my Columbus but trawling the internet leads me to think that it's really hard as there are no pre outs.

Hi bigman,

I have just been out to a local audio supplier as my speakers started sounding wired and I picked up oe of the following

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3867.html

It isn't cheap and I'm not 100% sure it's necessary but this will do what you are after.

I haven't fitted it yet as I need to get the rest of the wiring done first. I was under the impression the the Columbus did have pre-outs though, you just needed a connector.

http://best-buy-car-auxiliary-input-adapters.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/blaupunkt-aux-1rca-auxiliary-input.html

On my old Octavia mk1 I used a 4 way version of this. I thought the Columbus had the same style connections. Will take a look tomorrow if weather permits..

UPDATE

Missus was out, I was bored so I have just taken the Columbus out to have a look.

There doesn't appear to be any pre outs so the kit in the first link in my previous post looks like it is the way to go. Search around forums though because there is a second unused multi pin connector and that might be what we're looking for.

If you want to take a look yourself, getting the unit out is a piece of cake but I didn't remove the connectors.

I peeled off the from the bottom up. I have FL with an ashtray so I just opened the ashtray and felt for the bottom of the trim and gently pulled it away. The unit is held in with 4 T20 torx screws. After they are removed, gently pull the unit out. There was enough loom to fully remove the unit although you will probably need to disconnect the main loom connection to take a proper look at the rear. There is a sticker on the top that shows the pin outs. I took pictures on my phone but unfortunately they all turned out crap. I will update if / when I have more info.

PS. Don't let the price of the line out converter I bought out you off. For what I want to attempt, it is an ideal solution, if you just want a 4 channel (fronts and rears) option, you can find kit for as little as £40. I have used this kit a my old Brabus Smart as I didn't need a separate bass amp feed and it worked perfectly well. The guys I bought the kit off we're so impressed they ended up borrowing it for the Smart festival in 2009. That was using 2 x 165mm Alpine type R components in the front, 2 x 165mm Alpine Type R 2-way in the rear box and a 12" DVC Alpine Type R sub all running off a Kicker 5 way Amp. I will try and hunt down what the box was and let you know if you are interested.

On another note,

I have heard that some Octavia's have an Amp fitted. Is there an easy way to confirm if my car has one?