Cold air intake through winter

Just bought a Carbonspeed induction kit for my vrs. Just wondering how prone it is to getting filled with grit etc over the winter as the intake is a lot more open/direct than the standard airbox ? Anyone any thoughts?

• Like 1

Yeah know what you mean....standard airbox is well shielded. The intake is high up though so chance of taking in any great amount of water is probably quite slim. Wouldnt have thought spray would amount to much as heat from the engine would dry it out. Just wanting to see if folk have ran them through winter etc without any issues. Some of the rain we've had in the summer was probably worse than winter weather.

I've emailed Pipercross and Carbonspeed for their thoughts on it - more a view as to how the filter performs if it becomes damp/wet. Has anyone checked theirs after a long run in wet weather to see if the filter is wet (haven't had the chance to look at mine after a wet weather run)? Looking on other forums, plenty of people run them in golfs etc so would have thought if there was a major issue it would be known by now. Also the carbonio one (which is the same design) is featured on the official vw racing website so wouldn't imagine they would endorse seliing a product that might cause severe problems. Just trying to convince myself it will be fine through the winter!!

Got this reply from Pipercross :

Thanks for your enquiry in answer to your question, yes the filter will work fine, to help it even further you should keep it impregnated with our dirt retention additive (oil) as this will also help to protect it. By oiling the filter water will just run off the outside of the filter and shouldn’t be pulled through.

Sounds like it should be fine then

• 2 weeks later...

Having not had many replies I thought I would conduct my own test. Drove for an hour today in really heavy rain on motorway and flooded country roads. When I got home decided to strip the intake and see to what degree water had penetrated it. Upon initial removal of the carbon intake shield there was a very small amount of water on the inside of it but any that had got in appeared to have drained through the hole on the bottom -so far so good! I then checked the filter and the top of it (ie part in facing directly to front of car and most prone to spray etc) was quite wet although , as stated by the response from pipercross, the dirt retention oil did appear to have caused it to mostly run off. I removed the filter and checked inside - no water present in the filter or inlet towards the maf. The filter felt completely dry inside.

Think that this means it is highly unlikley for any amount of water that would cause damage to get through. The car had only sat for 5mins max before I stripped it so wasn't as if the heat from the engine had dried the filter.