New Aussie Yeti Owner

Blue103TDIDSG

G'day All

Skodas are a bit of a rareity here in Oz at the moment

We have now had the Yeti now for about 3 weeks

and in that time I still haven't seen another one on the road

Have had 4WD's for about 35 years, starting with the old square Nissan Patrol 3 speed

Followed by an FJ60 Landcruiser wagon for 10 years

then a series 80 Turbo Diesel Landcruiser for another 20 years

That was replaced by the Yeti.

Still finding it somewhat of a "culture shock"

I am amazed at the Ydti, its performance, handling and economy

as well as the electronics - still finding new things that it can do

makes the turbo Landcruiser look like a dinosour - which at 20 years old I suppose it is

The funny thing is that when driving the Yeti it feels the same size as the Landcruiser

this is a positive for me. It seems like a sort of TARDIS (a la Dr Who)

Anyway have been "lurking" on this site since we first started looking at buying the Yeti

It is a great site and the info here is very helpful

Would like to thank those that offer assistance and share their knowledge

You make the site what it is

Hi Joel

Yes for the first time I/we went "automatic" Have had a few automatic company cars overc the years but alway boyght manuals

So still getting used to it but the way it works is quite incredible

Very fast changes - and very clever too

If you are ruinning on cruise control and go down a hill

it will drop a gear to hold the speed - othe cars we have had with cruise cintrol just go faster down hill

Not the Yeti though - Last weekend I went north over the Gateway bridge (Brisbane) which has a decent incline on both sides

Well the cruise control pulled it back to 4th gear as we went down the other side

I passing, I was taught many years ago that it is cheaper to replace brakes (shoes in those days)

than engines - so unless it is a safety issue like long hill and heavy load and possible brake fade

use the brakes rather than going down through the gears - different off road but that'a another story

So I pushed the gearlever into the manual position and just indexed it forward once so it went back to 5th gear

Then just touched the brakes lightly for a couple seconds, I think on just two occasions to hold the 80kph speed limit

Other options that were already on the car are Off-Road Button - haven'y used it yet and the rear parking sensors

They are great. Was at my sons home t'other day, parked on his driveway and as we were leaving, selected reverse and the sensors went into continuous "beep".

I asked what was behind the car and when he checked there was a bag of clothes that the wife forgot to throw in the back.

Would not have done any damage but if it were something else it could have - so they work well

What I am finding is that the shape of the bonnet is deceiving as to judging the distance of the front of the car when parking

Since it is curved and slopes down you can't see the front edge - same as most cars but with the Yeti, the lower part at the front seems to extend a lot more - will get used to it but am thinking of mounting a camera in the grille for these occasions

Other options are leather seats - these were reupholstered and the leather used is probably better that factory - they are beautiful and worth getting if just for the smell - LOL. They don't have heaters but they would never get used here in Queensland. The other Option was Sat/nav and you hav read the saga with that on the Aussie forum

Regards

Cool. I orderd:-

• Bi-Xenons
  • Off Road Tech (button)
  • Park assist
  • Upgraded sound system

I had read many time the standard lights aren't great and since I drive a reasonable amount in country NSW I thought it a good idea with roos and stuff to get the Bi-Xenons. I was mucked around a lot with dealers offering me different vehicles with leather and thing I didn't need and didn't want to pay for. I wasn't willing to bay $3000 for satnav just to get Bi-Xenons.

As the whole reason for the SUV is so I can get a bit further off road for picnics and what ever else, I decided I wanted "Off Road Tech". I was told there was none in Australia with the option but later found all 2011 models came with the option in Australia but those vehicles never had it added to their option list when it was made an option in 2012. The result is all 2011 stock has the option but Skoda Australia dont have it listed to the dealers.

Park assist is a bit of a gimik but its only a couple of hundred over front and rear sensors so I thought why not. Many dealers fit the sensors themselves and make it a cheaper ootion but if you want factory stuff, park assist is not that much more.

I grew up with loud music. Whilst I dont have it so loud now, I recon I'll be deaf soon and need it loud. LOL.

Cant wait until it arrives next year.

Happy Days.