Wheel Spacers

Hello everyone

Quick question about wheel spacers. I have an 58 Octavia vRS CR170. When I bought it second hand it had 15mm spacers fitted to the rear wheels (none on the front). Having never used or even considered wheel spacers in the past I wasn''t overly keen on them and so took them off.

After a few months I decided that I didn't like the look of the car without them and so have refitted them. Since doing so I seem to get abit more steering wheel wobble around 70+mph than before. My questions are:

1) Why would rear wheel spacers affect steering wheel vibration?

2) Does anyone know of any problems with using wheel spacers?

3) Are they as safe as when not using them? i.e wheel secured properly

4) Is any extra stress placed on wheel bearings, suspension etc.

A few more notes. They are hubcentric and do have longer wheel bolts to accommodate them. I do not know what make they are (bright silver aluminium construction). The car is not lowered and so rubbing wheel arches is not an issue.

Its worth mentioning that my car does get its fair share of spirited driving, although no track use.

Many thanks in advance

Si

Unusual to get such issues with huncentric spacers. I had 15mm ones on my last vRS with no issues although they will but additional wear on your wheel bearings. I can only suggest refitting to ensure they're a good fit especially if they were previously fine. Remember to tell your insurer too.

Did your insurer charge you any extra for declaring them? Who was it out of interest?

I'm not too sure if you need to declare them. The que card question I got when taking out my insurance was "has the vehicle or engine been modified in a way that affects the performance or handling?". Since rear wheel spacers do neither I'd argue you don't need to tell them!

Edited by SW_VRS_2012

You need to tell them, to think you don't is very naive. They do affect the handling also. Can't remember how much specifically as I had various other mods including remap and suspension.

Just had a thought; I had a steering wheel vibration at about 83-87 mph. I tried re-balancing tyres and swapping wheels, but still had the problem. I have 15mm spacers on the rear and was beginning to wonder if they were causing the issue. However, I have just had my first run with my new Eagle F1 tyres. Much smoother, quieter and the vibration has totally gone. I can only assume there was a slight issue with one of the old Conti 3's.

I believe that steering wheel vibration is caused by issues with the front wheels and vibrations through the seat are caused by rear wheels. Could be wrong though.

Are the conti's standard on new vRS's. Mine has conti sport contact 3's all round but as it's on 52k miles these obviously arn't the original tyres. Wonder if the 2 previous owners before me have kept OEM tyres. Incidentally when I do come to change them, I will be doing so for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's.

I had Conti 2's on mine initially, think a lot come with Dunlops. I think it all comes down to what they can bulk buy for the cheapest price at the time. Can't go wrong with the F1's though. Incredible in the wet, seem totally fine in the cold too.