Door card removal?! Mission impossible....

kiddy1

errrr not 100% on this but I think the rives are a specific size, and you can't just use any old rivet. If that's the case, I'd get some fresh rivets to pop back on before taking the old ones off.

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/fabia-door-panel-rivet-2000-2007-23645

your nearest Skoda parts dept might still be open?

Another friend works in a body shop and they have the rivets in stock :)

• Like 1

I repeat - you do not need to take the door card off - just pivot it up and prop it there while applying the sealant - the sealant only needs to go, say 75mm up from the bottom because it's at teh bottom where the problem lies.

• Like 1

I repeat - you do not need to take the door card off - just pivot it up and prop it there while applying the sealant - the sealant only needs to go, say 75mm up from the bottom because it's at teh bottom where the problem lies.

+1, the guide and how to's in the link, post #2.

As per my earlier post, there seems to be water trapped between the door and the metal skin, the foam seal has perished and that is also soaked.

In order to dry it all properly and seal it properly I think my current course of action is best :)

Clearly for your own peace of mind that was the sourse of action to take, but for others reading this topic please note it wasn't necessary in my case - I just dug out as much of the foam as possible (and the previous sealant someone had badly applied) and then used a water resistant sealant - no problems. Easily done with the door card propped up. Remeber you only need to do the bottom - it doesn't matter elsewhere

Edited by DRJ
  • Like 1

Clearly for your own peace of mind that was the sourse of action to take, but for others reading this topic please note it wasn't necessary in my case - I just dug out as much of the foam as possible (and the previous sealant someone had badly applied) and then used a water resistant sealant - no problems. Easily done with the door card propped up. Remeber you only need to do the bottom - it doesn't matter elsewhere

That's certainly another option. We managed to get the door card off, with great difficulty I may add.

I've bought waterproof, heatproof, bombproof adhesive/sealant so hopefully things will be sorted out fairly quickly.

• 7 years later...
On 01/12/2012 at 16:08, kiddy1 said:

Another friend works in a body shop and they have the rivets in stock :)

I simply refer to something I've posted a few times, referring back to a conversation I had some years ago with the Skoda tech who did my front doors under warranty. If the cards are riveted, we seal them. Little sense replacing rivets. if the cards are screwed in, we replace and seal. AND till the weather gets a bit better and floor gets dryer- duck tape on the sils might be your best friend.