What modifications to handling require tracking or wheel alignment?

MarkyD

I have a 60k 2002 4x4 estate which is pretty good for the local roads. Ideally it would sit higher off the ground, have less body roll and a bit more pep. Perhaps I should have bought a Subaru Forester but worse mpg and more expensive to buy and repair and less suited to LPG conversion put me off.

Although not a spirited driver even I notice the understeer and the kicking in of the standard haldex to push me into the hedge.

So keeping the ride standard height.

Reduce body roll with H&R 21mm front and 25mm back ARB

Cast wishbone and caster adjustment bushes.

Bilstein B6 dampers + standard springs. Considering using weitec lift kit to give 15mm front +25mm rear lift just to see what its like and if that's an avenue worth pursuing. Some over at TdiForum are raising VW's quite a bit and putting bigger tyres on. Not sure if that is sensible,practical (ABS etc) or legal and insurable in the UK

Uprated Haldex controller

312mm disks and carriers.

Stage 1 remap.

LPG conversion.

So I now have a clunking from front suspension and as I no longer have a place to work on the car the local garage does the work. If I get the wishbones installed now when solving the clunking and have the car aligned as a TT and at a later date change the suspension as above do I have to get it re - aligned? I think I would have to travel for proper 4 wheel alignment.

Mark

Basically anything that changes the hub position will need the alignment to be done so any changes to wishbones (including bushes and balljoints), ride height, camber etc.

Changing shocks while keeping the standard springs shouldn't as long as the new shocks are the same length as the old.