Glow plug issues

dohertyjj

Having a problem with cold start wiht my 1.9 awx engine superb in morning Thought it might be heater plugs as there is 221000 miles on car so checked these indeed three were gone so I replaced the set. Didn't make any difference so I checked the power on switch on no power, so next is the relay and fuses I know they are located behind the fuse box but can anyone tell me which relay controls the glow plugs and also where is it located. Also is there anything else that could be causing the plugs not to come on

The double relay is in the ECU box which is in the engine bay. Park the wipers vertically, then remove the plenum chamber cover - as if you were changing the pollen filter. The ECU box is visible with the lid secured by a ring of screws.

With true Teutonic genius, one screw is inaccessible. If it had a hex head, you could get it out with a spanner. Of course, they had another, more complicated way...

Examine the scuttle trim very carefully and you will see a closely fitting plug in it which is put there to enable you to get the screw out. Now you know why the wipers are parked vertically. It's best to push this plug out from the inside - go carefully as the trim material is very brittle.

There is also a heavy (80A I think) fuse in the ECU box for the glowplugs - probably worth a look. Check the relay for broken soldered joints inside.

I can't recommend a code reader as I just borrow one...

rotodiesel.

Problem sorted it turned out to be the Temperature sensor. After replacing the relay it made no difference so I returned it and tried the Temperature sensor (even though I replaced this less than 6 months ago) turned out it was leaking water into the connections Hey presto problem sorted started this morning at -2deg first turn