How To: Modify Std Front Grill (VRS)

Bowders1

Hi Folks as requested I have completed a guide.

Should of taken more pics but hey ho should get the gist of it. Maybe post in the How to when folks know where it is.

here goes, hope you like it:

Front Grill Mod

Start by removing the front grill by undoing the 4 top torx screws

FrontGrillMod309.jpg

Then remove the 4 outer torx screws (2 on each side)

FrontGrillMod310.jpg

Unfortunately I did not take pics of the Grill in one piece and I already cut the vented part from the main black plastic grill but I can explain what you do to split the section apart

The Grill comes in 3 sections (imagine the vented part is still attached to the main black section in the pics below)
The 3 sections are:
The Main base (Black Plastic part)
The Colour coded section that fits to the main grill
The Chrome section that fits to the colour coded section

FrontGrillMod264.jpg

This is the front part of the grill (chrome section) You need to simply unclip the sections apart using a suitable flat screw driver.
Starting with the chrome plastic section cut off the clips on the surround and smooth them so they are flush with the rest of the back. Pic show the back of the chrome section smoothed.

FrontGrillMod268.jpg

Working with the chrome section, make a card template to use to cut the mesh to correct size. This way to can check that you have the correct size before you waste the mesh by cutting too short. You need to make the template have a 5mm overlap to fold it down the side of the chrome section.

FrontGrillMod272.jpg

Cut mesh ready to check size

FrontGrillMod274.jpg

Now you need to carefully fit mesh to the chrome section and bend the overlap around the edge of the section. Take time on this and be sure it is as tight to the chrome section as possible as this is going to make the difference when sealed. Spend time around the skoda centre badge area making sure that the mesh is flat and formed into the rear of the badge.

FrontGrillMod277.jpg

When you are happy then you can seal it in place.
I used black tiger seal mastic, which most paint shops use for fitting spoilers etc great . adhesion and flexibility. Any decent adhesive sealant will do really

FrontGrillMod287.jpg

Pic of the badge area(note pic shows the rest of the section together but you get the gist)

FrontGrillMod284.jpg

Next you need to fix that chrome section back to the colour coded section. As the tabs have been removed(to allow the mesh to sit close) you need to use tiger seal again, Run a bead around the inside of the coloured section where the chrome part will be sitting. I ran a thick bead approx 5mm down from the top edge of the coloured section, then sat the chrome section into it. I placed something over the grill to make sure is pressed in and left it over night

FrontGrillMod281.jpg

Then whilst that was drying I started on the black main grill section.
Start by using an angle grinder or dremel to cut out the grill slats. You need to cut lower then the slats as the mesh section needs to have enough space to sit it this main section with the mesh part not being obstructed. You will see when you fit the two together.
Take time to slowly cut away the waste.

Pic of the first cut I made showing the slatted part removed.

FrontGrillMod269.jpg

Final pic of the edge rubbed down and smoothed

FrontGrillMod292.jpg

Base section ready to be connected to the mesh section

FrontGrillMod295.jpg

To fit together they just need to be reclipped.

Pic shows the complete item clipped together from behind, you can see how close the black base and coloured section are by the black sealant just being visible that sealed the initial mesh to the chrome section

FrontGrillMod287.jpg

FrontGrillMod302.jpg

Finished article

FrontGrillMod328.jpg

FrontGrillMod324.jpg

Now new pics with Grill paited Black

VRSInteriorAug201119.jpg

VRSInteriorAug201117.jpg

BlackFrontGrill12.jpg

VRSExteriorPicsNov20115.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm currently doing this Bowders and was wondering if you actually need to put the black plastic back on to save cutting the slatted part out

Hi Buddy, yes you do as the black plastic back is actually the main base that screw back up to the bonnet.

I thought about a number of alternatives but in the end that was the easiest and best option i came up with 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...