Turning down EGR Valve in chesterfield area?

DSS199

I'm just a way south down the M1 from you and have vcds but before fiddling with egr valve I would vent the crankcase breather to atmosphere via a catch can, as this stops the oily muck getting into the intake in the first which is half the problem.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Been researching the elephant mod, any ideas if this would affect the warm up of the engine in cold conditions as the hot air is not circulated back into the intake.

I don't think that would be a concern. The difference between our hot weather and cold weather isn't typically more the 25C. Compared to combustion temperatures that is negligable. The engine management system adjusts everything for optimal running.

Looks like post #3 is asking about the EGR turn down procedure, not the elephant mod procedure. There is lots of conflicting info on the net about this subject regarding turbo spool up, economy change and engine warm up time. Depending on the mileage the EGR could already be "gunked up" and require a clean out, some photos I have seen appear to show EGR valve with the bore almost fully closed with a combination of oil and carbon..

http://www.fabia-vrs.com/technical-info/ecuconvenience-unit-coding-options/

But I think the OP was looking to stop the egr / turbo getting lunged up. Given that reducing the input from the egr will make naff all difference to the oily muck coming from the ccv. The elephant mod will make more of a difference, it did on ?y old car.

Well I gave bought the kit to make the elephant mod, just waiting for catch tank. Was just wondering with elephant mod where shall I lead the pipe down while bot using the catch tank. As I will have to wait for tank but want to start addressing the issue first.

You could feed it down the back of the engine bay and point it backwards. I had mine routed down into the passenger side wing but without a CC that could push oil down in front of the wheel which wouldn't be good.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Reason I ask is because i have been told if I do the egr delete I will get a engine managent light? Can turning the egr valve stop this as re map is outta my price range with new house n job

EGR delete will throw up the EML. You can turn the EGR down but it will still recycle some exhaust back into the inlet and you will still have the oily muck from the CCV, so you will slow down the build up of crud but not stop it.

You may just need to route the pipe a bit further back so it is actually underneath the car pointing backwards.

I never had any problems with smell in the cabin, is it sealed around the CCV properly?

I believe so, will have another crack at it now I got some longer hose.

So the only way to do an egr delete is to have a remap. Only because when you read about the mod on there site they don't mention Engine management light

I believe so, will have another crack at it now I got some longer hose.

So the only way to do an egr delete is to have a remap. Only because when you read about the mod on there site they don't mention Engine management light

Yes, you can't do it with VCDS or any other similar tool AFAIK.

Once I had done the elephant mod, the crap in the EGR didn't seem to get any worse so I never bothered to clean out the EGR. If you're cleaning the EGR then I would do the inlet manifold at the same time. You will need a set of gaskets (3 in total) and I have a set I don't need anymore but someone someone already has first dibs on it. They only cost about £10 for the three anyway.

If it's anything like mine was it will look like someone poured tar into it.

The part numbers for the gaskets you need are:

EGR to Inlet Manifold = 905 216 04

Bottom of the EGR to flexi pipe = 069 131 547 D

Inlet manifold to engine block = 028 129 717 D

These could have been superseded though.

Contacted seller today about egr light and there reply was

You will have no light with your car. It is only the later models Vw 2004 onwards and the rest of the VAG group from 2003 onwards that will throw the check engine lamp.

Does this sound like a load of bull for a sale?