Another faulty electric window thread

I have used google and searched for similar topics so please no noob flaming. :blush:

I bought by Fabia vRS on Saturday and the passenger window didn't operate from the drivers side. No big deal but a niggle none the less.

Similarly the convenience feature and auto feature don't work either.

The past couple of days the car hasn't started, so I charge the battery and then it is fine all day, then over night it dies again.

Took it back to the dealer today who replaced the battery. After doing this I changed all 3 of the 25 amp fuses for brand new fuses from our local Halfrauds equivalent.

Then no windows worked.

I reseated the fuses then the drivers worked the passenger side button goes down, but not up, it goes for about half a cm then stops. As a result it now takes an age to wind up the window. The passenger button on the drivers side still doesn't work.

I tried the procedure in the manual for resetting the auto/convenience feature but it doesn't make a difference. I have tried a different passanger button and drivers side button from the scrap yard, so I am fairly sure the switches are ok.

I am new to VAG cars, the only other thing I have seen that removing the battery for 45 minutes may work. If this fails what else should I be looking at do you think?

Is the convenience controls in the ecu or a separate command box in the door? Could the wiring to the fuses be dodgey? Is there an easy way to test this?

Thanks for the help guys.

Today I disconnected the battery for 45 minutes and reset the ecu as per the guide I found here on briskoda. It has sorted the passenger side controls, the drivers side auto works as well. The drivers side control for the passenger window still doesn't work, nor does the convenience feature. I'm not sure if the 2 issues are linked or not but I shall continue to investigate. If anyone has any ideas I could try I'd appreciate it.

Next step I guess is to order a no. 7 torx bit and electric contact cleaner and try cleaning the contacts.

Does anyone happen to know if an el cheapo made in china obd elm hobby would read error codes with the correct software?

• 11 months later...

I never did get to the bottom of this, basically the drivers side window control doesn't work the passenger side window, the passenger side works fine. Any ideas on what to look for.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have a similar issue with my wife's 07 Fabia VRS SE, the front electrus Windows stopped working on NYE. I tried removing/re-inserting the 46 fuse and/or 58 fuse with limited success, ie both windows worked until the car was next locked/unlocked. I then noticed the car battery was pretty flat and not recharging properly (was original battery) so bought and fitted a new 096 type battery to it earlier this week. After doing the post 'reconnect battery' steps described on other posts and in the manual (reset radio code, test drive and reset electrics window with key in lock to close position for 3 secs, remove key & repeat), the windows fired into life and I though I had solved it :-)

Unfortunately not :-( Today I checked the car and drivers side switches were not working at all, passenger side only works going down (irrespective of whether key is in ignition) and to get it back up you have to fiddle the switch to get it up 1/2cm at a time. I've had the drivers switch out and couldn't find any issues with it when I tested the electrical connections. The fact the windows have been intermittently working perfectly I don't think it is a physical connection. Having looked at haynes manual electrical diagrams, I'm v suspicious whether one of the control units has stopped working properly, particularly the one in the lock system that tells both the windows to work on unlocking the car/ignition. Any thoughts would be appreciated but I fear this might be a job for the Skoda garage to resolve!

Edited by DoOrDie

Hi there. I would check the wiring loom between the drivers door and the a frame of the car for any split wires....if thats ok then I would check the resistance between the pos and neg pins on the motor itself....if theres Resistance then the motor is buggered

Thanks for the advice guys. I took the door trim off the passenger side and checked the wiring between the both driver and passenger doors and the body. Nothing obvious jumped out at me, the only possible thing was that the pvc cover on the brown/blue cable on the drivers side was worn so could be shorting something I suppose. I didn't check the resistance of the motor, I'll have to check that next time we have some half decent weather.

• 2 weeks later...

It's never worked since I got the car a year ago. We've had nothing but rain for the past few weeks, so I've not had a chance to get out and look on the drivers side and try the motor, or wrap a bit of tape around the wire which is exposed in the door exit/body entry point. One day I will get to the bottom of it...